What are some of your exotic freshwater species/types?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was curious to see what people have out there as far as whats extremely rare that you have in your aquarium. Like your showcase fish, or what you would like to have as a showcase to your tank. Whether it be your big ole puffer fish, an eel, or any other crazy thing you have in there.

I'm trying to get an idea whats out there cause i am so confused what to get.

The closest I have to 'exotic' is an African Butterfly fish. He's pretty neat. It's kind of a pain to feed him crickets though. I don't find that he eats anything else. He's real neat though. How big is your tank, and what do you currently have in it? maybe I can make a suggestion.

Well, i have a 55 Gallon (48Lx12Wx20H) Marineland all-in-one. Penguin 350 Bio-Wheel, LED lighted Hood. Gravel, natural slate caves and terraces, Malaysian Driftwood, Airo Volcano Bubbler. Here is my dilemma for now, I set up my tank got it all running and cycled and added my fish…yay! Bad news, my roommate and I have had some issues, so I have re-homed all my fish and have to break down and move my aquarium. So, I am going to start all over again, but the good thing is, I’ve decided on the look and décor I want. I want to use the black sand because I would like to get into live plants and it really makes the greens pop. So when I move into the new place, I am very open to all suggestions as far as getting new equipment…should add extra filtration? I really want to do this right, and do it once. My problem is I like to too many varieties, puffers, eels, crayfish, sooo its tough. But I guess above all I want something that is active and moves around and is relaxing to watch. So I am very open to all suggestions.

my most exotic fish(shes actually not a fish)is my australain blue crayfish.shes very docile,and hilarious to watch.especially during feeding time.i know some can be really aggressive though.

My most exotic aquatic animal is my African Clawed Frog. Those are the big ones that eat fish. If you make that mistake of putting one in a community, it's a one time mistake. I haven't though.

As far as fish, I'd have to say my bettas are probably my prettiest fish, but a common fish. My bristlenose pleco would have to be my rarest LOOKING fish. When I get it that is.

I don't have much in the way of super exotic fish.

I always wanted a blue crayfish, I mean come on, its like a mini lobster in your tank, and its blue none the less. But I always hear horror stories of them killing all the fish or then people say they are great and never harm a fish. So I guess it’s a tossup as to which one you get. It’s tough I guess cause a lot of the things I want don’t really mix well, I mean unless I get multiple tanks, which down the road would be sweet. So I guess I’ll ask here and see what the best mix will be.

yeah,ive heard of people getting there fish massacred by crays,but mine is gentler than most of the fish shes in with.ive seen more aggression come from my ghost shrimp than my cray.but it all depends on the crays personality.

Yeah, depends on the crays personality, and how big (and smart) your fish are. How about an elephant nose? they're neat little guys.

I have two that I would consider "rare":

1. L-066 "King Tiger Pleco" - very neat black and white striped pleco that I bought from HN1 and Severum Mama awhile ago. He's gotten a lot bigger, but he's a Hypancistrus which means he's completely nocturnal. So all you ever see of him when the lights are on is his big striped tail sticking out of his hollow rock (like a big kid sleeping in a bed that's way too small). Occasionally when a snail crawls by he'll WHAP them with it so hard that they go flying.

2. Garra Flavatra "Panda Garra" - this guy is unbelievably adorable, and they're really not all that hard to buy, it's just that they're relatively uncommon as home aquarium fish. They have suckermouths like tiny plecos but they can swim a lot better than most plecos (mine likes to pretend he's a danio and school with them).

The best part is that they are related to the "manicure fish" from asia - so if you stick your hand in the tank he'll scoot around your fingers and suck off any dead skin. :p

Garra%20flavatra2.jpg

I have the garra rufas that you can find in the fishy pedicure places in turkey etc, theyr pretty hard to find.
And the gorgeous egyptian mouth brooder (only one so far) and a wierdy african blockhead fish that i didnt even know what it was until i googled it 2 weeks after purchasing it.
that african butterfly fish is awesome!!! x

I have Uarus. I wouldn't call them rare but not often seen. I also have a L201 that I heard is more rare than it's lookalike. I also have some breeding apistos that no one else seems to have. I just picked up a royal pleco which were hard to get for a while but not rare. I can't seem to find a mate for my female L182 so I'm thinking they are rare these days.

Yeah My African has loads of personality. He's really docile. He has never gone after any of my other fish, or my ADF's. He just waits patiently for his crickets =)

I've got several rarer catfish. My bumblebee catfish and my four-line pictus catfish. :] I've had my 4-L since 2007 and he's a big friendly lug. I love him haha. Just got my little bumblebee, but every time I see him (he's tiny and likes to play "hide and seek") he's got a chunky belly and is a little bigger. I've also got ghost cats in there with him and he likes to cuddle with them, which is kind of hilarious.
I also have some Odessa Barbs, which are a rarer variety of barbs. I'm loving them so far! They don't eat my plants and both the males and females are beautiful! I only have two, possible three males though. Out of a school of 10. :]
I used to have an ACF as well, and I kept him quite successfully with a pearl gourami, just in case you wanted to keep yours with some fish. :>

I have a ropefish and I know they aren't that rare but boy do I have fin trying to keep him in the tank. A true escape artist...

My "rare" fish (Which really isn't) is an albino bristlenosed pleco. My star attractions are the Dwarf Gorumi although my very blue crowntail beta is a charmer too.

+1 for Panda Garras and Bichirs!

Spotted Climbing Perch (ctenopoma acutirostre) are cool too.

If you can find them, Lake Inle Loaches. They sort of hover around in the water with really small twitches of their fins, and will dart around super fast almost like a barb at times.

I don't know about y'all, but I've been seeing a lot of of the rarer and some new forms of geophagus/gymnogeophagus in my area. Some of them are downright striking in their appearance.

Back
Top Bottom