What can I fit??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaMonkey243

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I have a ten gallon tank ready and cycled. The fish I'm looking into is potentially 6 platys, one betta (male or female) and and african dwarf frog. I'm wondering if this amount will be alright for a 10g tank? If not should I take away some of the platys or will this stress the school out? Also one last question, if I can't have any platys is there a fish that doesn't require to be with others but that is also small enough that the betta won't attack or it won't attack my betta?? Thank you ahead of time for any and all replies

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

6 platys are a big no as they produce a high amount of for a fish there size.
Neon tetras or flame tetras would be better

I agree. I would do a school of neon tetras. Like 5 or 6. Your Betta and then the frog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My only problem is that I want to have a fish where I can tell each one apart from each other in case there's complications. Are there any fish like that which can coexist with a betta within 10g tank?

My only problem is that I want to have a fish where I can tell each one apart from each other in case there's complications. Are there any fish like that which can coexist with a betta within 10g tank?

None that I can think of. A 10 is pretty small to work with it IMO and there's not much options with a betta. Possibly some Pygmy corys but it all depends on the individual bettas personality. Some don't tolerate tank mates too well...
Personally I'd stick with the betta and be happy. What do you mean "if there's complications"? If there's an illness in one fish you'll pretty easily be able to tell which it is...also, with a little watching, you'll be able to tell which is a bully if that's what you're concernicus about...

Well yeah I guess that's true, I just liked the idea of being able to have all of them identifiable. And by complications I meant if one gets picked on by any of the other tank mates or if the one is a bully or maybe they're shy and can't get to food first before everyone else does in case i need to put in a divider for when I need to feed them or something like that. I just really want to have the ability to have that variety there for me but it just seems impossible after the extensive research I've been doing.

I personally would not mix them with a Betta. However that being said Platties come in all different colors. you could get all males , just a different color for each one so you could tell them apart and still would not end up with babies. Also platy are not schooling fish so you don't need 6 of them. Just a suggestion. Alison:)

I personally would not mix them with a Betta. However that being said Platties come in all different colors. you could get all males , just a different color for each one so you could tell them apart and still would not end up with babies. Also platy are not schooling fish so you don't need 6 of them. Just a suggestion. Alison:)

Oooo thank you for this!! But I think I would go with all females so they wouldn't reproduce and so there wouldn't be as aggressive together, I've just heard stories of platies and guppy males fighting with each other. But yeah thank you so much, are they really not schooling fish??? Huh

They are not schooling fish. And don't get all males. I made that mistake and they fought to no end.

They are not schooling fish. And don't get all males. I made that mistake and they fought to no end.

Yeah that's what I'm planning on doing, either all females. Or I've been wondering if I should start a betta sorority within my 10g. Just them however

Back
Top Bottom