what else should I add

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I currently have a 100 gallon tank that has
1 dwarf gourami
1 flying fox
1BN pleco
1 sm. guppy the others died
2 boesemani rainbows
2 lemon tetras
5 neon tetras
6 long fin rosey barbs

I just bought the barbs today so it will be a week or two before I buy anymore fish but I was wondering what else to add I want colorful fish if possible.
thanks for any suggestions

Tess

I'd build up the school of Boesemanis to 5 or 6. They really are stunning! Then, I'd grab some more lemon tetras, they are great fish also.

Have you thought about adding some dwarf cichlids, like GBRs, Bolivian rams, or apistogramma spp? They are really nice fish to add if you want some activity and color around the bottom 1/2 of the tank.

Cherry barbs are bright red and small, a good size school of those would look nice I think. Maybe some clown loaches or striata loaches. Red Tailed black sharks are calm and colorful. They'll pick up some scraps in the tank. Cory's are always a nice addition. 5 or so cories are fun to watch.

I second the boesemani rainbows, and really favor GBR's! They would be a fantastic addition to that tank. Do you have any live plants?

zags I do want to do a planted tank low light but I have to wait to get the lights. I do have a little bit of java fern in there that was in my ten gallon tank. I would like to add more rainbows and more cherry barbs I am alitlle worried about the barbs because i have heard they are a little aggresive.
Black hills wouldn't sharks be to aggresive for this tank with the gouramis and the neons, my kids would love itif I got them. I will be getting so cories I would like to get panda cories if I can find them. I am also having troulble findin more lemon teras. the ones I have came with the tank and survived the move.

Thanks for the suggestions keep them comming

Tess

do you have a petco close to you? if so they carry lemon tetras i got 4 of them nice fish. the red tail sharks iv had allways got aggresive in my tanks with smaller fish if there where larger fish in the tank they where fine. i have a 135 gallon myself and tetras are my fav i got like 10 different kinds they school nice and dont fight . iv had aggresive fish in the past and im done with that.

Cherry barbs are totally peaceful IME, unlike their relatives the Tiger Barbs. :)

RTBS can be aggressive, so if you want to have alot of cories, I'd skip the shark. Sometimes they can be peaceful and in a large tank like yours, it might be fine if you give it a couple caves, but I personally wouldn't try it. I like cories too much. :D

My gold barbs are pretty peaceful so far (in the tank about a month, accepted a new one into their school a few days ago with NO drama) and they're bright and colorful. Mine think they're cories though - they stay on the bottom 1/3 of the tank. :)

I think I will skip on the sharks and will get some more cherry barbs and some cories and loches. are there anyother bottom feeders that you all would recomend.

tess

ottos are a great bottom feeder - alge eater great little cleaners ill tell ya that . all the talk in this post about cherry barbs i ran to petco and bought some lol cool fish also got some blood fin tetras real cool fish if ya got a petco close by go check out all the tetras they sell.

all loaches are neat bottomfeeders

rainbow sharks have black bodies and ALL of their fins are red.

red tailed black sharks have just red tails.

I've never run into a red tailed black shark being aggressive. Rainbow sharks, on the other hand, are a totally different story.

JustOneMore20 said:
Cherry barbs are totally peaceful IME, unlike their relatives the Tiger Barbs. :)

QFT

tiger barbs are ANIMALS!!!

I have 1 red tail shark and its tiny right now. at this point its curious but does not show any aggression towards other fish. Hopefully it stays that way as it grows.

Back
Top Bottom