what fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
R

Rudy_627

what kind of fish do you all reccomend for a 29 gallon FW tank?

Well.

Do you want schooling fish?
A bunch of small fish?
A few big fish?
one big fish and a few small fish?
do you want livebearers?

you have to narrow it down =o)

i want medium sized many of them many colors on the fish and VERY active

Do you want a lot of the SAME medium sized fish? Like guppies?
or do you want several different kinds?

You could get a school of 8-10 tetras (there are so many.. my fav is the serpae) and maybe 2-3 cory cats, and maybe something that is a little bigger like a dwarf gourami or something

lyquidphyre said:
You could get a school of 8-10 tetras (there are so many.. my fav is the serpae) and maybe 2-3 cory cats, and maybe something that is a little bigger like a dwarf gourami or something

will all of those go together

like are they non-aggressive? will they fight? and will they be territorial

Hehe I wouldn't have suggested them if I thought they wouldn't get along =o)

the tetras and the cory cats will definatly get along... the neon blue dwarf gourami is REALLY pretty and a peaceful fish... but I suggest only one because the times Ive had some, one would pick on the other.

In my 75gal I have 2 golden barbs and they school with my serpae tetras- its pretty cool

Also, I saw somewhere that you wanted pink and blue gravel. I did that in my 29gal and I grew to hate it. It takes away from your pretty fish! You focus more on the gravel than you do the tank. Maybe a blue and black mixture would be better. I thought I would mention how much I disliked my pink and blue gravel =o)

Would you like some pictures of these fish? (From my tank and various other sources)

either that or ill go with what the fish store told me and they said"Alot more people have been buying the Natural Gravel(like a brown black and in the middle combo) cause they 'think' the fish like it better and it gives you tank a 'healthier' look"

so thats the grave im going with well i gotta go im too sick to stay on any more i have a really bad case of the flu(runny nose, unlimited sneezing, and terrible congestion!) sorry id ask more today and maybe tomorrow but im not feeling up to it cause my throat is killing me

talk to you all tomorrow

maybe......

well its tomorrow and i gotta go because io have a fever 101.4 and im really sick happy superbowl sunday everyone and i have to take a nap and im not tired (parents are so mean when your sick!)

are these fish the best ones that will fit in a 29 gallon tank and not fight

just looking for other opinions

All tetras are peaceful community fish
You could get a school of black skirts, congos, white skirts, neons, the list goes on....
They will DEFINATLY not fight with each other.. that is why they are considered peaceful, schooling fish.

this is what i want you said they wont fight

10 tetras
3 corycats
1 dwarf gourami
1 male betta

will they all go together?

Im not positive about the betta. Bettas are either hit or miss.. and since they are fighting fish, you could have an overly aggressive male who attacks your tetras.. or you could have a very docile one. I would suggest not getting the betta

Lets break this down by inches-
10 tetras at 2in each = 20 gals
3 cory cats at 2in each = 6 gals
1 dwarf gourami at 2in= 2 gal

TOTAL gal: 28gal

Now cory cats can be anywhere from 2-3in... so you might come close to overstocking. Which Is *okay* if you keep an eye on your water parameters and do water changes like you should.
If you do buy those fish, I suggest adding the 10 tetras first... watch your water... and wait about a week or two.. and add a cory cat once every week... and then add the gourami

What tetras are you looking into? If you get 10 tetras, for your size tank you want ones that only get to be 2in or less.

Also, do you plan on buying water testing kits?

yea im getting a water testing kit

and im getting 2 Red Phantom tetras, 2 cardinal tetras, with one algae eater and a dwarf gourami

now im confused
why just 2 of each tetra?
And what algae eateR?
Cuz that right there is only 15ish gals of fish
I would up the tetras to at least 5 each

5 red phantom tetras, 5 cardinal tetras, 1 otto cat, and a dwarf gourami

that sounds good!

I guess get a group of tetras at a time and then the other group the following week. That way you wont have a spike in ammonia

ok so all of them will fit in a 29 gallon tank?

cool cause those are the kinds i want but im not sure if the LFS sells all of those

:?

so i should at them week after week like this

Week 1: Added 5 Red Phantom Tetras
Week 2: Added 5 Cardinal Tetras
Week 3: Added 1 Otto Cat
Week 4: Added 1 Dwarf Gourami

like that?

Yes, but test your water before you make anymore additions
Week 1: add 5 tetras... wait a week IF and ONLY IF you don't see an ammonia spike add 5 more tetras for Week 2... then, if and only if you don't see an ammonia spike.. add your otto... then if u don't see an ammonia spike.. add your dwarf gourami

I read somewhere that ottos need great aeration... do you plan on getting an airpump?

Back
Top Bottom