What Fish should i get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok i'm new to the whole aquarium thing. but let me tell you guys what i have so far.
I have a 40 Gal. tank with three Leopard puffer fish. and i have a four inch pleco and a bumble bee goby that goes undetected by the puffers.
Now i know puffers are aggressive and brackish.
i was thinking if i should get a black ghost?
Or some convict cichlids?

what do you guys think?
thanks and sorry if i sound dumb im just getting into it. lol

Your leopard puffer is suited for freshwater aswell as brackish. puffers and bumblebee goby are sposed to get along i think.
did you know the bumblebee goby is brackish too and its lifespan is shorter when not in brackish water? I recomend gradually switching to brackish water.
do you have live plants, fake plants or hidey places in your tank? what kind of filtration do you have?

i don't think cichlids or knife fishes can survive in brackish water conditions.
Rainbowfish will make a good tankmate for both puffers and goby and can adapt to brackish conditions.

I wouldn't consider a knife fish. They will seriously outgrow a 40 gallon tank. Theyre what you call "tank busters" :D

My tank is already brackish. So no Knife fish huh?
My plants are fake and i have a ton of hiding places for them.
and my filter is a aqua clear 200.
I do want to switch to live plants but im not that educated on them yet.
thanks guys.

I don't think convict cichlids or knife fish would do too well in brackish water, not 100% sure though. :?

Well. Today i went out and got a Clown Pleco. His colors are great. and 2 more bumblebee gobys for now.

Is 80 degrees too high of a temp for my tank? should i lower it?

I also want to get live plants in my tank. What plants should i get? I see peoples tanks on the web; and all tanks with live plants look so much better. can live plants be ok in brackish tank?

I am not to sure .. but i have to say I dont have much luck with liveplants ... I dont know why; maybe i put the wrong plants in the wrong conditions i..e p.h. etc ...

hmmm. ok. i want to perfect freshwater fish tanking before i get into marine fish.
if i sound dumb... sorry. lol
What is the best filtration, In your opinion?
I dont like my filter. its not as good as my old one and i had a whisper. now i have a aquaclear 200 it doesnt seem as powerfull.

There are alot of plants that can survive in brakish conditions. Heres a link to a site just so you can get some ideas.
http://www.aquariumplants.com/cgi-b...s/op=eq/ml=25/tf=description.html?id=LINTj236

I personally like the whispers. I recently bought an aquaclear, but haven't used it yet. You could try marinelands bio-wheel models like an emperor. Be prepared for some noise though.

Hey I just notice where youre from. One of my favorite restaraunts is in Vacaville :D . Chin Hua next to Vaca Pena school.

um sorry for the bad news but pleco's alike are very sensitive to brackish water and will most likey be very short lived :(

Back
Top Bottom