What is eating my other fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

guppy12

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay I have a 20 gallon community and I have had a couple fish go "missing". So far I have lost 4 ottos, 1 male dwarf platy, male groumie, an eel that only gets 4-5 inches, baby panda cory and thats it....

I have a suspision to my female groumie and/or 2 female mollies....
I have no idea what is having my fish for lunch.... :cry:
Currently I have......
1 male gup
2 albino female cories
1 false juhli male cory
2 kuhli loaches
5 rainbow threadfins
1 female groumie
1 female betta
2 female speckeled mollies that are spouse to get 4 inches and yes I do have a larger tank for them.

What do you all think? Hmmm..... My tank conditions are all good and I will get exact results in a bit, I do weekly 50% water changes, some live and fake plants, a stealth heater (100 watt), a good filter, the water is about 79.5-81 degrees depending on the time of day.

Okay- what is getting mmy fish? :evil:

Urrggg! THanks for looking

Well, big fishes eat small ones. If the small ones fit the big one's mouth, then they got eatten. I feel you have overstocked your tank.

Are you sure they're being eaten. Dead fish sink sometimes instead of float, and they can get caught under decorations, plants, and rocks. If you're just missing fish, dig around your tank a bit.

Another consideration is that the fish may have died and the other fish eat their remains. Fish are opportunistic.

Okay- ummm... my fish are not any where to be seen! I have searched, lifted, sifted, opened, cleaned ans about anything else you can do to your tank! THere is noe skeleton, residue- nothing! And yes we have 4 cats but the lids are very secure, and tightly put on.
:(

my tiger barbs are like garbage disposals, I hold them responsible for some of my missing fish, have you thought that myabe there jumping out some how? if thats not the case, then I'd say its your fish eating the remains

This sounds similar to what happened to my friends snail. He had it 3 or 4 weeks and it went missing. No sign of it. No shell, nothin. He checked the gravel and decor and till this very day it has not been seen agin.

Also, he had a red tail shark that went missing. He found it behind the aquarium, it jumped out. Poor thing.....

if you've lost a gourami and an eel, which is not small fish, that sounds to me like they are dying and the other fish are feasting on the remains. have you checked your water quality? ammonia, nitrite, nitrate?

Back
Top Bottom