What is needed for piranhas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here are my last two cents. If you do want piranhas, don't put them in the 20 with plans of upgrading later. Buy the appropriate size of tank for a full grown one. Upgrading is a pain and there are no guaruntees that they'll survive the transfer. I speak from expirience. Either way, good luck and post pics if you get one.

murad said:
awight sorry um i seen 3 red belly pirhanas in a 10g for a display tank in petstore they had them for almost a year in thier so i guess you can get small red bellies till they grow big u can upgrade

Thats not something i agree with but its an opinion!
I'll never agree to kill myself because the petstore show that is good!

The petstore want to sell them!

And keeping alive is not enough now that we have all information so easily!

10 gal for piranha is to small whatever the lFS say/do and its just a non sence to come to a site to have the good information and put a fish that you know the needs in what we can call a cup for that fish!

Dont want to start fight, its an opinion.

Fishkeeper26 said:
I didn't suggest any other fish, if he wants a piranha the tank sizes have been listed above. However it is harmless to recommend other fish that work in a 20 gallon tank.

tetras are in the same family(I think) as piranhas haha :)

I hear you. I wasn't using the word "you" as in YOU, but as in people in general.

ya i do know they did bad idea but u seem you want one badly i dont know what type of pirhana is the smallest when its fully grown but im not expert on pirhanas. so good luck. :)

Oh!!
Principal question!

20 gal is to small for even one piranha!

At least 55 gal for one or 100+ gal. for a school of 6-7.

In 200+ gal. and well feed they can have lots of tankmate!!

For a 20 gal go for a Purple stripe goby, leopard bushfiah or one spot bushfish, leaffish, puffers, dwarw "red fin" snake head (4-5 inch adult size). Thats all carnivorus type to and they fit in you tank.

But remember that canivorus fish are very messy, need lots of maintanance in the aquarium and filter. So better 2 filters, or a big one that goes for a total of 4-6 time the volume of the aquarium when dealing those fish!

Really interested in 1 of these fish. Which 1 of these is compatible with the other? I really want a puffer fish and have a 26 gallon tank. If I get a dwarf Puffer what other fish can I home with it?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom