Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-18-2003, 12:14 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

What is the best way to have algae in the tank?

What is the best way to have algae grown in the tank? Besides sunlight, is there any other way? Because the mollies loves algae, and my tank was not close to sunlight. There are food thet contain algae right?

Old 05-18-2003, 12:33 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to targaboy78
Hi Mansiz,

That has to be a first for me... Replying to someone looking to get algae in their tank.

Mollies are omnivores, they eat many types of foods such as spinach and flake food. They will eat some algae tablets/wafers or leafy greens (spinach or romaine lettuce) but will also eat plain old flakes.

I would recommend algae wafers as a occasional treat but they sink because they are designed for bottom feeders (although it never stops my Tiger Barbs from nibbling on them).

I hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:50 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
You could also get a veggie clip and feed them some of the dried algae sheets. I have been told this stuff can be bought at the health food section in some grocery stores and/or Asian food stores under the name of "nori". OSI makes some spirulina flakes that would probably be a big hit with the mollies also. If you must have the real thing, I would culture some algae outside rather than trying to grow it in the main tank. Get some aquarium safe rocks and put them in a tub of water. Set the tub in the sunlight. Soon, you'll have algae on the rocks. Then you can sit a rock in the tank for the fish to nibble on with less risk of the dreaded "green tank syndrome". JMHO.
Logan J
Old 05-19-2003, 01:08 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
How long do you leave your tank's lights on?
Old 05-19-2003, 06:06 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I left them on the most half an hour per time I look at the tank. But those mollies always nip at the ornaments and plant leaves, seems like looking for algae, I browse through a website which says mollies need to consume algae to survive.
Old 05-19-2003, 07:23 AM   #6

Quote:
I left them on the most half an hour per time I look at the tank
Leave lights on 12 hours per day, you'll likely get some algae very quickly.
Old 05-20-2003, 01:25 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh even aquarium lights can help algae growth? I thought only sunlight does that. Maybe I can place a table light beside the tank and ray it from the side of the tank. Hehe. This won't increase the temperature.
Old 05-20-2003, 09:04 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
IMO, the best thing you could do for your fish would be to invest in a timer and keep the lights on for 8-10 hours a day.
Old 05-21-2003, 01:34 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Timers should be sold in LFS next to light fixtures. Fish need a day and night cycle, and this is the best way to keep it regular. It will help develop good bacteria and will increase algae growth slowly.
Old 05-23-2003, 08:53 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Yeah I was also going to say to keep the lights on like while you're at work or school and turning them off around dinnertime. It helps keep the light cycle more natural.

-j
Old 05-23-2003, 11:12 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Home Depot sells an excellent digital timer for about $17. Battery backup so they don't lose the program when the power goes out or you unplug it. Way better than the old dial type lamp timers.

Tags
algae, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com