What just happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dubs1281

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My peacock was fine this morning, eating as usual and showing no odd behaviour. I just found her stuck to the filter, unable to swim with her gills barely moving. I had to put her down. :'( What could have happened. She had a few nip marks, but nothing extreme. This is the second fish in two weeks. Water seems to be fine.

My peacock was fine this morning, eating as usual and showing no odd behaviour. I just found her stuck to the filter, unable to swim with her gills barely moving. I had to put her down. :'( What could have happened. She had a few nip marks, but nothing extreme. This is the second fish in two weeks. Water seems to be fine.
peacock?what is the full name of the fish?

German red peacock. I bought it from petco. It was just labeled as peacock cichild. Here is the male.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130822_154050.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130822_154050.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 68
I'm don't know. Do you test water a lot? If so what are normal readings and what are readings atm. It could be a bad supplier feeding your pet store if u get more fish try a different pet shop :)

I'm don't know. Do you test water a lot? If so what are normal readings and what are readings atm. It could be a bad supplier feeding your pet store if u get more fish try a different pet shop :)

Ive had the fish for three months now. But two weeks ago, I got a fish from a separate store that arrived in the same bag as a dead one and I bought the fish that was alive in the bag, that fish died three days later, could it have had a disease and spread it around?

Ive had the fish for three months now. But two weeks ago, I got a fish from a separate store that arrived in the same bag as a dead one and I bought the fish that was alive in the bag, that fish died three days later, could it have had a disease and spread it around?

And don't buy from that shop from which the dead fish came

Nitrites are high

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130822_161609.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130822_161609.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 79
What other kind of fish do you have? They could be fighting, the fish could have died from stress not disease. It doesn't sound like you quarantined your new fish before adding it to the tank either.

If they are tropical fish, see what the best temperature for the species is and raise your heater to the highest level they accept and do a water change immediately.

The temp is at 83. Which is very high for cichilds, and im doing a ro water change tonight. The ro water I buys ph is much higher because they do a buffer.

What kind of fish do you have in your tank? I'm beginning to think you are hiding something.

I had angel fish. They are cichlids. They got along fine until breeding season then the biggest male killed all the other males, he eventually killed the female as well. He ended up in a twenty gallon prison until I was able to get rid of my fallen angel. I doubt I will ever buy another cichlid. I know a lot of people like them, but you have to have enough room for them and you have to know which fish to put together.

I don't know a lot about ph but if your fish are sick do you think it is wise to change it a great deal?

I read what some people have in their tanks and I cringe.

The only stocking issues I might have are a bala shark and a kissing gourami who both came with the tank when I bought it off craigslist, and are both going to be looking for new hes when needed but so far everything is ok. And some people.might get mad, but this is before I knew, a green terror. He is definitely not a bully though. He only defends himself when attacked. He is NOT THE PROBLEM AND I KNOW MY MISTAKE OF MIXING NEW AND OLD WORLDS TOGETHER. But I have noticed that there is more aggression going aeoumd lately, but idk why. I am not trying to hide anything, and am sorry if I made it seem that way. And another thing to add to add, the store I bought the fish from that died first, two weeks ago, the fish just came in the day I walked in and they were acclamating the fish when I walked in, so the fish was dead when I walked in the store, he then sold me the one who was in the same bag at the other, so its definitely not the stores fault, probably the suppliers.

If so why haven't all my fish died? Its been that way for three months and I lost only two fish. I change water weekly.and change my filters when I think I should. Which is every three weeks or so.

If so why haven't all my fish died? Its been that way for three months and I lost only two fish. I change water weekly.and change my filters when I think I should. Which is every three weeks or so.

Aha. Ok. The filter cartridges should never be changed. When they get nasty, rinse them off in old tank water during a water change. Most of the bacteria lives on the filter cartridges, and when you throw it out, you lose all of your cycle and are starting over.

I've had fish make it through more than sky high levels, and others that half a mini-spike killed them. It all depends on the fish.

Aha. Ok. The filter cartridges should never be changed. When they get nasty, rinse them off in old tank water during a water change. Most of the bacteria lives on the filter cartridges, and when you throw it out, you lose all of your cycle and are starting over.

I've had fish make it through more than sky high levels, and others that half a mini-spike killed them. It all depends on the fish.

Ohh.... boy, that might be it. I did about a 50% water change and changed the filters on Monday. I have a canister on the way and will be able to put ceramic rings in there. Ill keep everyone posted.

Back
Top Bottom