what media to use in a rena filstar xp2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elephantnose

Aquarium Advice Addict
what media to use in a rena filstar xp2? I have a 55 gallon aquarium I just bought off of craigslist today for $50. The tank came with a Rena filstar xp2. I've never used a canister filter and I was wondering what media I should use? Which media is best and easiest to use?

I really like Purigen by seachem and it comes pre bagged. I use to use carbon but that becomes pricey and it just strips the water of everything even the good stuff. The beauty of purigen is that it is rechargeable and just use prime by seachem which is the best thing to use in the recharging process and it will also treat your tap water for water changes. As for the bio balls. Yes. I have two baskets dedicated to biological filtration in my canister. One has the ceramic ring and the other has the bio balls. Hope it helps.

Along with purigen and some sort of bio ball what else would I need to put in this canister. It has two compartment things. I've never used a canister I've always used a hob.

The way my baskets break down are mechanical. Chemical. Then biological filtration. I guess I am lucky because I have four baskets so mine look like this. First basket is mechanical. It has a real coarse filter pad in it. Break the crap down and trap large debris. The second basket combines mechanical and chemical. First a layer of the blue bonded filter pad trap smaller debris. Then a large layer of filter floss with the purigen wrapped up in it. Pull even smaller crap out and finally a layer of micron felt to pull even smaller crap out. Third basket houses a large amount of bio balls and the fourth houses a large amount of ceramic rings and one more piece of micron felt to give the water a second polishing. Sorry to be so long winded. Hope it helps. I really like canisters and have used them for 20 plus years. They have come along way. Have a great weekend.

I have the xp3 from new .. If you google it there are pictures to show exactly what goes where.. Hope that's of some help ? ;)

I've looked it up in Google but i still wasn't positive on the type of things to put in it.

Ah ok. Well in my xp3 I've 4 different sponges in the bottom tray, bio stars and balls and a carbon sponge in the middle and bio balls and a very fine water polisher/ filter fibre pad (which I change monthly at least) in the top.

So I would say for you course sponges in the bottom and bio balls/stars and a filter floss (fibre/pads) in the top.. I think if you go on eBay and type in media for rena xp2 most of your options come up ..

That's just my suggestion.. :) hope that was a bit better ;)

I'm thinking... 4 sponges on the bottom, top box will have a few star thing, a purigen thing and then a water polisher pad on top of the purigen. Sound right?

Only the filter floss stuff probably every 3-4 weeks ..once you get the hang of the xp they are really easy to work with

Back
Top Bottom