What should I add?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KTpoopenstein

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a small tank (12"x12"x24" LxWxH ~12gal) with 8 or 9 neon tetras and a zebra nerite. It's moderately planted with anubias nana, a small Amazon sword (that used to be bigger but has died back some) and a ton of Java moss and a bunch of moss balls that look like crap. Also have a good sized piece of driftwood. I need to do some serious aquascaping, but I'd like to add some critters too. I know this is a super weird sized tank, that seriously limits what I can add, but I'd love any suggestions for something with color, that won't hide all the time. It seems everything I've had in the past has spent a lot of time hiding under the driftwood which is a bummer. I'm not even entirely sure how many tetras I have because they dart to the opposite side of the tank every time I try to count them, and I don't remember how many I bought initially. I have a well established tetra whisper 40 for filtration, so filtration capacity shouldn't be an issue...just swimming space. Suggestions?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Sounds pretty stocked. Like you mentioned 12x12 is just a very small footprint to work with. Even the neons would likely appreciate more horizontal space. I like these sort of tanks in terms of scaping though due to their unusual shape.

I'd try some shrimp like RCS provided you have enough cover/plant growth. The neons will definitely pick off babies but with enough shrimp and enough cover the RCS could likely maintain a steady population. Any sort of snail would be fine to.

I have a good bit of Java moss so shrimp would have lots of cover. I've had some before but they all mysteriously died overnight one night. No idea what happened there!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1434148763.186898.jpg
I just cleaned up a lot of the plant debris around and repositioned the driftwood but this is basically what I'm working with. Probably going to add some new plants too but I need to see what I can find that looks decent. PetSmart's selection looked pretty sad.

View attachment 273641
I just cleaned up a lot of the plant debris around and repositioned the driftwood but this is basically what I'm working with. Probably going to add some new plants too but I need to see what I can find that looks decent. PetSmart's selection looked pretty sad.

PetSmart usually carries the TopFin gel pack plants in the plastic box and cylinder containers. I've had good luck with several varieties of TopFin plants. Crypt wendtii, either the red or green variety, should do well in a tank that supports mosses.
As for inverts, Amano shrimp are pretty hardy and active.

I have heard that Petsmart and Petco treat their plants for snails, so if you have inverts that could be a problem. Ask them before you put them with shrimp or snails.

I think everything I've had in my tank except the Java moss is from either petsmart or petco and I've never had an issue with them messing with my snails. I usually give them a thorough rinse though before I plant to get off the gel so that may help though. I doubt the employees would have the first clue about what is done to their plants though. They generally seem pretty unknowledgeable!

I stopped by petsmart this afternoon and while they had a few options that might work, the one I'd really like to try looked awful so I'll have to keep looking. 90% of every pack of crypts they had were brown. I didn't have time to search more though so hopefully petco or a lfs will have something better looking.

Most of my Java fern has died off so I'll probably get more of that, and maybe some more swords or water wisteria. I've had good luck with those in the past.

Back
Top Bottom