What to feed a native perch?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jed1154

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a pair of Warmouth that i got from a local pond. They are feeding on grass shrimp, and smaller minnows that i supply for them. However, i was curious if there is a non live food that they will eat, like bloodworms? I feed them frozen bloodworms (NOT freeze dried), but i have not seen them eat it. I don't want them to starve, but sometimes its nice to feed them something that i have readily available for emergencies.

I would say try it and see, experiment with different foods, bloodworms sound like a good one to try first.
Alot of wildfish will either eat anything or be very picky in my experience.
Also, crickets, mealworms and earthworms are usually available from a LFS or a baitshop at a inexspensive cost.

I guess he will eventually eat it. It has taken weeks for him to just get used to the fluorescent light. He used to hang out under the log and under all the plants until you turned out the light, now he actually feeds with it on. I forgot about crickets. When i mow, i will nab a grasshopper and or two to put in there to tide them over.

Oh...this is an important question. He is not full grown yet, but when he is, if he ends up being too large for his aquarium, will it be improper to return him to the wild? I didnt know if he has been desensitized since i raised him from a pup, and if it would actually be detrimental to his health if he had to fend for himself. I was thinking if i kept the live food in there that he actually had to "HUNT" then he would have a much better shot. otherwise, ill just keep him.

I googled warmouths and found alot of info.
Average size ranges from 4-10", so one fish would ideally need atleast a 50-55 gal tank with good filtration.

Well bluegill are not too picky they will even eat that nasty American cheese that they have to label chees product because it isn't really cheese (no offense intended).

I know they are live but how about earthworms. Just get some at a bait store (make sure they are not the ones injected with flourescent dye). They can live in the fridge for several weeks.

If you like native fish you might try out sticklebacks they are lively & the males build nests but they stay very small.

Back
Top Bottom