What would you do with 56 gallons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flake

Aquarium Advice Addict
My freshwater tank has been problematic from the start. I finally got down to one angel and put some neons/glos/platys in the tank to get some movement in there with him. Now that the angel is gone, I don't really know what to do with the tank. I'm really over fw but if I quit now, I will never have another fw tank. I'd rather not give up on it just yet. It's an odd dimension so i'm having trouble coming up with some good options.

The tank is 24x18x30.

I've thought about planted, but i'd need some crazy expensive lights to reach to the bottom. (I like dwarf baby tears a lot, so they'd need high light)

I've thought about cichlids, but I don't think the tank is long enough for them.

I've even just thought about putting in old fashioned, happy, easy orandas.

I admittedly don't know much about fw, and looking around the options seem to be community, planted, cichlids. So now I ask you, wise, knowledgable fw people, what would YOU do with this tank?

You could go with some South American cichlids and a planted tank.
I would do a low planted tank with a school of tetras most like Congos or bleeding hearts both are plant safe. Some cory catfish and maybe a clown pleco or oto cats. Once the tank is well established add some rams of some type. Rummy nose tetras are nice but they need a well established tank.

Dwarf Cichlids is an idea. I'd just stick with a pair though, along with your Angel. Then you could beef up the number of schooling fish. If you have a good cover, some Hatchetfish might work to use the upper part of the tank.

Yeah, if you went high tech planted, I'd go with alot of T5HO bulbs over the tank. Or like a single metal halide, but that might be overdoing it. :D

I have a little bias here because I just set up my 55. I currently have 4 Angels in there, but I', pretty sure it will be 2, due to a pair that are getting a bit territorial (I see baby angels in my future). Keep the water acidic and get some nice angels in there with a large school of tetra's. I would either go black neon's, cardinals or neon's. Get some nice plants like swords or even just some of the easier plants like anacharis, and that will help control your alge. I know it's kind of the getto version, but I use some simple compact florescent lights suspended over the tank to light mine and it works very well.

I have your tank. And yes its expensive for the lighting but well worth it. I just dumped what I had in it and Im reworking the tank. Dunno what you want to do with it, but my new setup is this- 15 Neons, 5 Otos, 6 Amano shrimp, 3 SAEs, 3 Zebra Nerites, 1 Platty fry, 1 Rubberlip. 175w metal halide, 5lb pressurized co2, flourite/eco complete mix, UV sterilizer, canister, and powerhead. I got some Cabombas for some crazy high growers to fill room to the top, and worked my way down with a Java mat and some Red Ludwiga to my microsword carpet im trying to lay down. Not nearly done, but you can check my profile for the latest pic of the tank. Still a work in progress but maybe it could give you an idea looking at the same tank but different. GL and dont quit. Also, if you like Baby Tears.... Ever thought Terrarium? Need less light when its half full...

Back
Top Bottom