What's a good high quality food?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Now, I don't have any LFS besides a petco and petsmart and they are a good hour away. I do have a Walmart lol. So I order most of my things of Dr. Foster & Smith. Real good prices and they are located by Minneapolis so when I order, I get it the next day. I got 3 shipments from them this week, one contained the NLS 1mm pellets for my fish. I was using Tetra Color flakes. I've heard so many good things about NLS, so I went ahead and ordered 300g for only $13! I couldn't wait to feed my fish some "top of the line" food for dinner yesterday lol! So I drop a pinch in, and they went crazy. However, almost half my fish spit it back out and refused to eat it. Good thing I have flakes left so they don't starve! Tried again today and same thing. Now I have this HUGE container of fish food that's gonna collect dust lol. I don't really know the difference in fish foods. I just want my fish to live long and happy. I've also heard that flakes don't fill them up well when they reach maturity? Anybody else have experiences like this?ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398353327.727969.jpg

Those are both good foods with the NLS pellets being a bit better than the tetra. Fish gulp a bit of food, grind on it with the bony plates in the mouths, then spit it out and repeat. They are getting more food off the pellets than you think they are. If you'll notice, they'll even do this with flakes also. Another best flake food is Omega One. OS.

Hello Fishy...

Cobalt likely has the best flaked foods. My fish source that raises and ships aquarium fish for a living uses it. San Fran Bay frozen foods are good as long as you check the ingredients. There should be two: the frozen animal and water. Hikari and Tetra have some good freeze dried products like tubifex worms, shrimp and algae wafers.

B

Those are both good foods with the NLS pellets being a bit better than the tetra. Fish gulp a bit of food, grind on it with the bony plates in the mouths, then spit it out and repeat. They are getting more food off the pellets than you think they are. If you'll notice, they'll even do this with flakes also. Another best flake food is Omega One. OS.

I haven't noticed them doing that with the flakes before. This is the first time I've used pellets for them, it was strange. So they ARE eating it?! The pellets are plenty small for them to eat so why not just gulp it down lol! I've heard of Omega One. I'll check that out too. Wonder if they'll do this to all pellet foods...

Hello Fishy...

Cobalt likely has the best flaked foods. My fish source that raises and ships aquarium fish for a living uses it. San Fran Bay frozen foods are good as long as you check the ingredients. There should be two: the frozen animal and water. Hikari and Tetra have some good freeze dried products like tubifex worms, shrimp and algae wafers.

B

Funny you mention cobalt because I had that in my shopping cart, then decided one food at the time will suffice lol. I am a fan of hikari foods too, but have never used any frozen fish foods before. I've seen them at petsmart before but I don't know how to use it. I'm guessing you don't just drop a cube in the tank...?

Feeding Frozen Fish Food

Funny you mention cobalt because I had that in my shopping cart, then decided one food at the time will suffice lol. I am a fan of hikari foods too, but have never used any frozen fish foods before. I've seen them at petsmart before but I don't know how to use it. I'm guessing you don't just drop a cube in the tank...?

Hello again Fish...

I do just drop a cube into the tank. Big and small fish all nibble at it. I prefer to put all the flaked, freeze dried, pellets and wafers into a heavy plastic bag. I put the bag on a large, wooden cutting board and use an old rolling pin to crush and mix all the foods. I dump the bag contents into a plastic container and every couple of days, I drop in a frozen cube of fish food and toss in 2 or 3 pinches of the dry food mixture. The fish go a little crazy, but this way I don't overfeed.

I like to include a little refrigerated minced garlic from Spice World. There's not a better veggie for your fish. High vitamin and a natural antibiotic. My fish love it.

B

If your fish are spitting out a pellet and sucking it back in repeatedly its because they either don't like it or its too big, it shouldn't take a fish longer than 5 seconds to eat a pellet. NLS makes a .5mm pellet, you could always try that. They also have flake food, I would give that a try and just do a mix of pellets and flakes so the fish that don't like the pellets will be getting some food also.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If your fish are spitting out a pellet and sucking it back in repeatedly its because they either don't like it or its too big, it shouldn't take a fish longer than 5 seconds to eat a pellet. NLS makes a .5mm pellet, you could always try that. They also have flake food, I would give that a try and just do a mix of pellets and flakes so the fish that don't like the pellets will be getting some food also.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have .5mm hikari pellets and they are too small, fish still eat them tho. The 1mm is perfect and they could prob go bigger since they chow down the wardley shrimp pellets too. I ordered Cobalt color flakes from DFS yesterday, so I'll have lots of food! I was still going to feed the NLS pellets because 2/3 fish still ate them. And last night, all the fish were! Even my angelfish! She was the one I was worried about... :D

My fish will also spit out the nls pellets while the are either on the surface or just starting to sink. Once a pellet absorbes enough water and they settle on the bottom of the tank the fish have no issue eating them whole.

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Another note, I'm also using nls and tetra flakes. One day nls, the next flakes. I've had great success doing it this way. Your millage may vary.

Sent from my N861 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom