What's your opinion: Otos or more cories?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emerald76

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm contemplating getting either otos or more cories. What's your guys' opinion? I have a 33 breeder with rams, guppies, peppered cories, and rummynose.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Depends on your tank's needs. Otos are algae-eaters. Corys are primarily carnivores and are good for scavenging uneaten food from the substrate.

From an aesthetic standpoint, I like corys better. But that's JMO.

I agree, those are very different fish in every way.

Coprydoras are bottom dwellers and scavengers. Otos are all over the tank by primarily stuck to surfaces up off the substrate.

I would almost all be inclined to expand the size of your groups of shoaling species.

The tank already has cories and I was considering 2-4 otos as I think they are pretty cute. If I didn't get otos I wanted false Julii cories.

So everyone is saying cories- I know otos are difficult, I've done a lot of research on pellet training and such. What else is making everyone suggest cories? I'm simply curious- I love cories but I also really enjoy otos, they are so cute.

I vote cories just because I adore them so much. They have great personalities...and because they let you know when they're happy. Increasing my shoal size showed me more dancing an playing, more egg laying, and generally more secure behavior.
I think a lot of people on here would vote for increased sizes of schools/shoals rather than an increased mix of species because it more closely resembles their natural state of being and reduces stress (thereby usually ensuring a longer lifespan)
You are the boss of your tank but I find if there's a fish I would like to have, I just start hunting for another tank!
Good luck!

That's the thing, I'd like another tank but I can't have more than one set up.

I vote cories! I think otos are happiest in groups of 6-10. 2-4 may not be as happy :(

Oh I saw that!

So how many more peppered cories do you guys think I can add?

33 long, guppies (getting rid of all but 2 males and 5 females, I'm getting rid of any fry), 2 rams (both female, adding a male and getting rid of a female), 5 peppered cories, and 5 rummies, planted with wood and Flourite, low light and heavy filtration.

There great fish I have an otto in my 10g it's not doing much about the algae tho but fun to watch

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I really love Otos ... Not sure whaT pellet training means ... All the Otos I've had are happy to eat omega one algae wafers.

I think one advantage is their tiny bioload, and that they eat something different than cories. But 2-4 would likely be stressed. That being said I started with 4 and quickly went to 3 (filter accident), and they were very active. But then I moved, the tank went into a brighter room, and I changed the decor. I got more but I still don't see them often enough to even say how many I have.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

It will depend on the tank setup but in general Otos are more prone to hiding than Corydoras.

How big do they get

How many in a ten gallon

Back
Top Bottom