When can I put actual fishes in there?? (newbie here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atticus27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yesterday I got some gravel, and 2 java moss and 1 aracharis (think i spelled it wrong) and i put tap water in there then I threw in my feeder fish that my turtle didnt get for the past few weeks (it's about 2 inches long rite now)

My question is when can I get actual fishes like tetras and otos? Because I heard the water chemicals needs to settle down but when you add live plants it's okay or something?

Another question: the way i pictured my aquarium to be like is all plants in the back and in the center is an empty space where the fishes can roam around. Should i buy more plants or just let it grow and eventually it will fill up the space? THanks!!

Did you add a dechlorinator such as Prime or NovAqua+? If not, the feeder fish may be toast in short order.

Move fishy back and read up on fishless cycling. 'Water chemicals' is incorrect; it's the byproducts of fish waste that you need to be concerned about: ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Only 3 plants will not cycle your tank (although they will help with consuming waste but not enough by ANY stretch of the imagination

You also need lighting for the plants; what lighting do you have now and what size tank is it?

That's pretty low light, so you'll get pretty slow growth most likely, but you have low-light plants so you should be fine.

What about dechlorinator and fishless cycling? Do understand that a fishless cycle without used media takes several weeks. There are a LOT of threads on here on the subject.

Back
Top Bottom