Where to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cdbaby123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Around me we only have Petco and Pet smart. From what I have read most people do not recommend buying from either and order offline. What are the best retailers online to purchase your fish from?

It really depends on the store and the management of the aquariums. We have pretty good ones almost all the time. Sometimes there are bad weeks or times when the fish look awful and I would just not buy anything iffy unless you have a quarantine tank and plant to use it.

1.5 weeks ago I just bought 13 Pygmy Cories from the local 2 big box stores in different towns nearby me, and one died on the way home but the rest were great. Still looking tiny and cute in QT. Along with 3 Guppies, one died the next day. Other 2 looking good.

A month ago I bought a dozen Chili Rasboras from a really good lfs and all died in QT within 5 days. (cycled and nicely running tank)

Never buy a fish from a group where there are bad looking ones in the tank. Safer than sorry.

Also know the day the fish come in shipments to the store. Usually wait one or 2 days and see what they have living and recovered/ made it through from the shipping process. It is very stressful on the fish.

I highly recommend WetSpot in Portland, Oregon. Second place would be Aquarium Fish Sale.com. A distant third would be LiveAquaria.

Back
Top Bottom