Which is better? Gravel or Sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jazz1180

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, :D

I want to startup a small (around 20 gallons) freshwater tank and have been reading the boards for advice and suggestions. I wanted to know what people thought about substrates. Gravel or sand? What are the pros and cons of each? What types of fish thrive better in each substrate?

Thanks for all your help.

Many if not most will tell you that sand is better than gravel though it is a personnal choice. Unlike gravel sand will not let the crap get deep in and under and is almost if not more effective as gravel. With sand you have more surface than gravel. I will use sand in my next big tank as i`ve already have gravel in my 15 Gallon tank.

If you search Sand vs Gravel in the search you will come up with tons of links. I prefer sand, but some prefer gravel. Caution needs to be taken with fish such as cories or other bottom dwellers when choosing a substrate. They prefer a smooth substrate.

Sand usually beats gravel on this forum. Although it is said that some fish prefer dark substrates. Also, depending on your look of the aquarium, one might look better for your aquascaping.

Can an undergravel filter be used with sand? I've got a betta who, I've heard, doesn't like strong currents anyway. Maybe the sand would be okay for him with the undergravel filter in a 1 gallon tank?

There are also dark sands such as Black Beauty. As the name states, it is black.

An undergravel filter can not be used with sand. You are correct, Bettas do not like strong currents. In fact, they do not like current at all. You could use an internal or sponge filter. Or just raise the water line to the filter output and do not let it get low.

Andy- (per the message in the e-mail response), Cories prefer a smooth substrate, whether it be sand or gravel.

sand or gravel .. it is like coffee ... all a personal preferance. What i would suggest is to visit some poeple who keep aquariums ... some with sand on the bottom and some with gravel bottoms. That way you can make a more informed decision. I personally keep a gravel bottom but i have kept sand bottoms as well ... i like both for different reasons and i don't like both for different reasons.

as i said, look around, it is the best way to figure out what you like.

I hate white sand. It looks garish and unnatural. I don't know of a single fresh water habitat that has white sand. A lot of plants don't like a light substrate, as it reflects light on to the bottom of the leaves. Pool filter sand tends to be of larger grain size than some of the other options. It is available in natural colours from some sources such as Red Flint http://www.redflint.com/index.htm . As mentioned earlier, it is a personal preference, as to which you like, and both have disadvantages. Sand has been know to destroy impellers.

Back
Top Bottom