White clouds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
I bought three white cloud minnows, 2 regulars and 1 long finned. I don't know how to tell gender, so my questions are how do I tell gender and how do I breed these guys.

For gender differences...the males are generally more slender. As of breeding...just get a school and let em go at it...LOL. Good to have the tank set up so fry don't end up being sucked through the filter. White clouds are easily maintained in a breeding tank fitted with a good air driven sponge filter. A heater would be needed just to keep temps from fluctuating. They like cooler water.

I do know pro breeders of danios use marbles to cover the bottom of the spawning tanks then use tubes to scoop up the spawn (eggs), put them in a tumbler until they hatch and then set them out in ponds to grow. This is a bit elaborate for home breeding, but it's done that way to insure more grow up and not be preyed upon by the adults. White clouds are really not much different than danios. Just a different species of minnow. For home breeding...you can have breeder nets on hand to scoop up any fry you find. The breeder nets can hang on the breeder tank and the fry can grow safely yet still be in the same water they were hatched in.

For high productive breeding, perhaps someone else here can get a bit more detailed.

Back
Top Bottom