White Worms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HarleyNQ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just did a 100% water change on my 5 gallon tank to put new sand-like substrate in I just bought. I rinsed the substrate until the water ran clear, wiped the tank clean and gently rinsed the false plants, medium-small stones and little cave I had in the tank. I just finished filling it and am now running fishless to clear up a tid-bit of cloudy-ness and let the water softener and salt cycle through. I was inspecting the tank to see if the filter was handling the substrate well when I saw, what I thought was a leftover frozen bloodworm, and saw it move. I thought I was seeing things so I watched it, it moves in erratic, twitch-like motions as it drifts along with the current. If they (I noticed a couple more) gain purchase on a stone or the substrate they try to burrow in. I've had this tank running for months with my female betta, rainbow shark and just added a Khulili Loach last week and have never seen these things. Before I bought the substrate today I only had the assortment of stones and no substrate, I got the substrate so that my loach would be more comfortable since I heard they like to burrow into the substrate.

I've read several posts on this forum about little white worms but they don't really fit the looks of these, they look like white-clear baby bloodworms to me, but I've never fed my babies live food before so idk how that could happen :/

If they don't harm my babies and they'll eat them I don't really mind, I'll just lay of their food for a day or so and let them nom on the worms. But if they are harmful what's the best way to get rid of them?

Well, from what I have heard the majority of things like this don't harm fish. I will say, though that your tank is very overstocked. Rainbow sharks grow to 6", and kuhli loaches grow to 4" and need to be in schools. The Betta is just about the only thing that can be in a tank that size. There will be huge aggression issues if you don't rehome the shark and loach.

One thing that might be causing these worm like things is overfeeding. Maybe don't feed as much in the future.

Hope this helps

-bud

Back
Top Bottom