Will gourami eat my inch senegal bichir? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carenbam1994

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey so my sister bought a opaline gourami thinking it be pretty for the tank, it's 75 gallons and so far there's a 3 inch senegal bichir, a goldfish, and a brand new gourami that my sister bought today, idk how aggressive this species of gourami are and I'm just wondering, will my bichir be attacked and/or eaten?

I dont think so but as the bichir grows he may eat the gourami. The goldfish needs a different tank since it's a cold water species.

I've never seen a gourami eat another fish, giant gourami's being the exception. Your Bichir is fine and will probably get fairly large, I would worry more about him eating your smaller fish.

Short answer: no it won't eat him.

What to watch for: Bichir may not get food (slow moving), when the Bichir gets larger it may stress the Opaline Gourami out (the Gourami will be too large for a Senegal to eat), and the Goldfish needs different water temperatures than your other fish.

Hey so my sister bought a opaline gourami thinking it be pretty for the tank, it's 75 gallons and so far there's a 3 inch senegal bichir, a goldfish, and a brand new gourami that my sister bought today, idk how aggressive this species of gourami are and I'm just wondering, will my bichir be attacked and/or eaten?

Gourami are listed as semi aggressive, but they only pick at their own species. It's nothing serious though. They are just social fish so you may want to add two more I you plan on keeling it.

Back
Top Bottom