Would this stuff be safe as a substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any coal by-product can contain trace amounts of mercury and sulfuric acid. Coal slag can contain dangerous levels of beryllium, which can result in chronic beryllium disease and lung cancer. Even short-term exposure at low levels can be dangerous, so along with your fishes health it doesn't sound like something you want to handle without proper equipment.

Any coal by-product can contain trace amounts of mercury and sulfuric acid. Coal slag can contain dangerous levels of beryllium, which can result in chronic beryllium disease and lung cancer. Even short-term exposure at low levels can be dangerous, so along with your fishes health it doesn't sound like something you want to handle without proper equipment.

After more google searches on the stuff I have concluded it is too hazardous for fish. Supposedly there have been autopsies done on fish kept with this as a substrate and they had cuts in their intestines.

After more google searches on the stuff I have concluded it is too hazardous for fish. Supposedly there have been autopsies done on fish kept with this as a substrate and they had cuts in their intestines.

My previous quote listed above was about the wrong stuff. I found this site that explains coal slag which is what the Black Diamond blasting media is. This explains that it is indeed inert and environmentally safe.

Coal Slag Explained

Back
Top Bottom