Wow - 3 days and 20+ new guppy babies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jasno999

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 10 gallon tank I am using for a community tank of live bearers. I have:

1 make sword tail normal color
1 Female sword tail normal color
1 Female sword tail red/black color
1 Fancy male guppy
1 Fancy female guppy
Some random babies.

Well I went away for three days and left the lights off. When I got home the fish were hungry as expected but whne I turned on the light I saw a ton of new babies swiming around. I was amazed cause there were so many but on top of that they all appeared to be guppies. So I scooped as many as I coudl itno a breeding net and I could around 15+ and then there are at least 5 still in the main tank that I could nto catch.

I am jsut amazed how many there are in such a small period of tiem and how much of a difference havign the light turnned off for a few days meant to the survival rate of this new guppies.

Now does anybodcy need some fancy guppies?

lol I'm overflowing with them too - once I set up my CO2 and switched to Eco, my guppys have turned into little fry factories - luckily most seem like they're getting eaten and if I end up with too many adults, I have a hungry Texas that might enjoy some "fancy" food :)

this morning I counted 16 brand new fry and I've got another female ready to drop.... and I've still got about 12 fry from the week before last that are already getting bigger... lol

Congrats! I do not need anymore guppy fry. I am swamped with them! I just put 5 young guppies back in the main tank (they were bigger and getting color) and 1 young gold dust molly in. My nursery tank has about 40 or so fry....only 4 are mollies. I also have a pregnant molly ready to drop any day now plus I have 2 female guppies in the main tank...and we all know how fast they multiply. These livebearers are nuts!

Congrats. I second the being swamped with guppy fry. I have started separating the males from females but that won't help for a bit.

Yeah it is cool. I just thoguht it was amazign how quick it happened and how important a role havign the lights off played in the survival rate. Now I just wish the swordtails would start mating more. I also want the red/black female sword to mate with teh goldis colored sword male. I want to see what the color variation will bring.

Also I have 4 new molly babies form my girlfriends tank in the mix. They are the dalmation coloring.

You have the same as my dad's community tank except his has 10 gallons on urs and he has zebras also. Guppies spawn regularly in captivity and my oscars are thankful for it.

Back
Top Bottom