Yes or no substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
of course you don't have to put a substrate in there! its called a bare-bottom aquarium. It can be a kindof cool industrial look. But the thing that might get in the way is that there is hardly any beneficial bacteria area then. I know beneficial bacteria like to chill in the substrate, so i guess you wouldnt have much of that. It also can be cumbersome to keep it clean, gravel and sand and whatnot keep it pretty hidden

I've run bare bottom tanks and they can be as nice as ones with substrate. It does look better IMO to paint the bottom of the glass.

KidFish most of your BB lives in your filter as it needs a constant supply of oxygen and food which it gets both as water passes through a filter.

If you are thinking of going with a bare bottomed approach I would suggest that you paint the bottom and take a fairly high flow approach to the tank. An extra powerhead or two pointing at the bottom will help keep detritus suspended in the water column long enough to be removed through mechanical filtration.

Back
Top Bottom