Is Seachem Flourite Suitable For Corydoras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doefangs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a mix of Seachem Sand and Flourite in my tank currently. I know corys need finer grained substrate and was wondering if the Flourite is too rough or big for Corys?

Generally people keep corys on flourite just fine. Some people have problems, some people dont. So we cant just say corys "need" finer grained substrate because many successfully keep corys on substrates like flourite, and where it isnt successful there must be another factor involved. Most likely water quality. Water quality is going to be poorer at the bottom of the tank where all the detritus collects than the top of the tank, and gravel and planted type substrates will collect and trap more detritus than a sand substrate.

Last edited:
Just keep in mind that some fluorite can have some sharp edges

FWIW, I have kept Corys on common Aquarium gravel in the past as I also presently do with absolutely no issues.

I have had 5 albino corys for 5 years now. My substrate is course gravel and it has never been a problem for them. They never get ill or damaged. I also have 4 Clown loaches that dig in the gravel and they are also fine.

I have Flourite in my 75g with a handful of Cory and haven’t seen any issues with it for the 2 years or so it’s been set up

Back
Top Bottom