Yet another cycling and TSS question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snailsareboring

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello fellow fish enthusiasts.

I've been reading a lot on this forum and online about the nitrogen cycle and Tetra Safe Start. I unfortunately didn't know about TSS or cycling before I added 2 platies to my 20g tank, and now it seems like I am doing a fish in cycle. I don't want to hurt my beautiful fishies, so I wanted to try TSS to complete the cycle in my tank.

Where I am getting confused is what to do with my fish when I add the TSS to the tank. Is it safe to keep them in there? Should I move them to a temporary home while the TSS does its work? Or should I just continue without the TSS and do a regular fish in cycle?

I'm so confused and I've been all over forums and the web to find answers. I even read a Q and A with Tetra about TSS, but the closest it came to answering my specific question involved a high level of ammonia, which I don't have.

In case you're wondering, my most recent water quality test results:
Ammonia <.02
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0

Since Nitrate is 0, I am assuming my tank is not cycled, but I also read it could be because my tank is understocked and overfiltered (I have 2 filters, a Marineland Penguin 150 and Tetra advanced power filter 20-40). I would appreciate any help you guys can give me!

greetings.

unfortunately Tetra doesn't have the manual for the product on the website, but the item description says the following:

"can be used when setting up a new aquarium, as well as after use of medicinal products and after every water change"

therefore it can be assumed that you can dose with every water change(i.e, with fish still in it), but after you are "cycled" i wouldn't recommend doing it anymore - it's a waste of money at that point.

sinerely,
nereksnad.

Thanks. I think I'll still take he fish out before dosing to be on the safer side, especially since there's no explicit info on using it with fish in tank.

it's strange that it doesn't state it on the bottle.

i did some more research for you, this is stated elsewhere on the site:

"When should I add Tetra SafeStart to the aquarium?
SafeStart should be added at the same time as new fish are introduced. This is because the bacteria in the product depend on the waste produced by the fish to survive. Adding the product several days before adding the fish may lead to reduced performance.

In fully stocked aquariums, SafeStart can be added whenever the population of filter bacteria need to be boosted, e.g. following filter maintenance, after replacing filter media, or following a water quality problem."

sincerely,
nereksnad.

The whole point of it is so that you can instantly add fish, it's fine for them, it's just a bacteria additive.

From what I've read about it I thought you added fish after 1 hour but within 2 hours after adding product. That's what caused my confusion...

From what I've read about it I thought you added fish after 1 hour but within 2 hours after adding product. That's what caused my confusion...

Yeah the directions can be a little confusing. I've tested this and a few other bacteria products so I'm familiar with it.

The basic idea is that it establishes a nitrifying bacteria population while you have fish in the tank. Without fish, the bacteria have no ammonia source and subsequently diminish/die, so you want fish in there. Some people have done this with fishless cycles also, but the product wasn't intended for that purpose so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.

Yeah the directions can be a little confusing. I've tested this and a few other bacteria products so I'm familiar with it.

The basic idea is that it establishes a nitrifying bacteria population while you have fish in the tank. Without fish, the bacteria have no ammonia source and subsequently diminish/die, so you want fish in there. Some people have done this with fishless cycles also, but the product wasn't intended for that purpose so I can't comment on it's effectiveness.

That clears things up a lot. I currently have 2 fish in the tank and I was being cautious about adding more. But I guess if I use TSS and can go ahead and add 3 more platies like I planned on doing before.

Also, if I put in the TSS do I still need to acclimate my new fish? I'm thinking yes for temperature purposes but should I drip acclimate?

That clears things up a lot. I currently have 2 fish in the tank and I was being cautious about adding more. But I guess if I use TSS and can go ahead and add 3 more platies like I planned on doing before.
I strongly suggest to wait until the tank gets established, the more load you put in early on means the more work you may have to do if the bacteria doesn't get established quickly enough.

TSS is a good product but it's not foolproof and has been known to fail, so don't put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Check this article out. Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom