Yet another lighting thread *Amazing!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Usually your 48" bulbs are going to be 40w - check any standard shop light. The T designation is also measured in inches, 1/2", 1", etc. so when you call around just ask for your wattage and the diameter of the bulb.

Be very wary of a mixed bag of Malawis. I'd bet that many of these that can't be identified are hybrids. I have been burned this way before, so you really need to know what you want and make careful selections. If your importer is trusted and knowledgeable then that's a huge plus, but I thought mine was, too, and I am having to completely re-do my ARLC because of not knowing what I had.

Tony - thanks for the links and the clarification - I thought we were talking about standard bulb reflectors that are mounted inside the fixture. I still think you should call AHSupply.com and get their advice, FF.

Model Rated 120 VAC 60HZ 40W

That's what the back of the light strip said. I had to call James and have him read it to me since I'm not home.

TG- I trust this lfs. I've only been to them once before, but have dealt with them many times. The entire store is Lake Malawi Cichlids and the owner said they only carry full breed Cichlids. They do have a couple tanks with some South Americans and a few goldies. But they are primarily African. That's what I love about them. And they have posters all over the walls that identify practically all African Cichlids and give the common names and scientic names and show pictures of male/female/juvi's. It's really the best lfs I've ever been to. And, to QT fish for a minimum of 2 weeks, I like that. Granted we have to drive a pretty good distance, I don't mind it.

Also, I just looked on Big Al's website and they don't hae T10 lights from Coralife.

I tried searching www.thatpetplace.com and I can't search for T10 bulbs.

Same thing with AHSupply.com. I didn't see any 48 inch bulbs.

FF - after your description of that LFS I think I need to make a road trip. Just need to grab my keys.....

Fishyfanatic said:
Also, I just looked on Big Al's website and they don't hae T10 lights from Coralife.

I tried searching www.thatpetplace.com and I can't search for T10 bulbs.

Same thing with AHSupply.com. I didn't see any 48 inch bulbs.

I think this should work for you:

http://www.thatpetplace.com/Product...scent/T1/F55+0047+0085/EDP/2892/Itemdy00.aspx

Call them up though and ask, their customer service # is on the sight and they are top notch. You are lucky its one big bulb, my hood is divided into two so I had to order two bulbs at basically the same price as you are paying for one. Why is an 18" bulb only $2 cheaper than a 48"? Sucks. :?

TG- HAHA. That's a MIGHTY long road trip for fish. How many oxygen tabs do you think you'd need for that car ride. :D

And, there are great fish stores where you least expect it. I pulled up to this one and thought, YUCK. Not pretty on the outside. The inside wasn't that spectacular either. But the tanks were spotless. They were very knowledgable. But I think they were also running a "side" business out of the place. None of the fish have died or shown any signs of sickness or disease.

I saw that bulb Tony, but it doesn't say if its a T10 bulb. I'll try calling them tomorrow after I get back from the fish stores. I'll look for that one. I know I've seen it before.

JC- Thanks for all the research. The thing about the bulb you showed is that it says for T12. Will that make a difference? And, I didn't even look in the section you found that. I never would have thought to look for a saltwater lighting. I don't mind paying a couple extra bucks if it's going to improve the ligting.

TS- Why does it cost $30 for a pair of Tommy Jeans for my nephew and $60 for a pair of Tommy shorts for me? He uses slightly less denim, but mine is twice as much.

Yeah, it just sucks. Your bulb even puts off more lumens than the 2 of mine combined for about half the price :(

Really though I don't care, if it makes my tank look better, $40 is a small price to pay. Those bulbs last forever anyway.

Exactly. We have over $1,300 invested in this tank. $30 isn't a big price to pay if my fish will look 10 times better. This way I will be able to take pics of them and show off my beautiful fish. :D That is if I can actually get them to sit still for a pic.

Actually JC, I have found bulbs on other sites for T10. I'm guessing that it's just a hard to find bulb. Kind of like 31 inch backing. Nothing can be simple with me.

On a side note, thanks you guys. I'm sorry to be such a pain in the butt with this. It's just that if I have a tank, I really want to enjoy it and see the true colors of the fish.

I totally agree, I was thinking the exact same thing last week and went through all the same problems you are running into. Its worth it if my fish look even a little better though, thats really important to me.

Thanks for the link Jersy! So I could use a T12 bulb. From that link, it says that the T10's produce more light than the T12's. So, would that mean that I am better off using the T10 and not buying a T12? I could buy it and experiment but I'd kind of like to know before buying one.

This is a great thread, as lighting is important to all of us in different ways. It helps a lot to hash it out completely before you buy, believe me.

FF, I have a LFS that is like you describe - in a grungy strip mall in an iffy part of town, open the doors, and (cue the choir) you hear a chorus in your head, lol. They have had some issues lately with the sale of the business, and now I don't know the future of my fave shop, so a road trip sounds about right, lol. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom