Yet another lighting thread *Amazing!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have glass tops on the tank then any light will work, assuming you are just resting the fixture on the glass. If you have a plastic hood assembly then you are stuck with whatever will fit in that opening. That is why there are so many empty plastic hoods in my attic. :wink:

TankGirl made a response to this, but I'm not seeing it on the thread. I got it via e-mail and read it there and clicked on the link and it said that the topic does not exist. What is up with that?

That was really weird. The post that you made TG that came via e-mail to me didn't show up in this thread, but the one above did.

The light unit just sits ontop of the tank. I have pics in my gallery of the tank. They are fairly old, so I need to upload some new ones once I have the new decor in place. But the hood is shown (I think). I may just take off the single light strip completly and get a double or triple light. I'm not concerned with the algae. I'd rather be battling algae in this tank and actually be able to see the fish than have dark looking fish and no algae. I assumed that I could just use any brand of lighting strip, but wanted to make sure before I went out and bought one, only to be wrong. Like they say, in Aquaria, you can't assume anything to be correct.

I was probably editing the post when you went to click on it. I was saying that it does not matter how many wpg if there are no plants in a FW setup, but I'd stick with 2wpg or under to avoid algae problems.

i can see the response fine. .thanks btw TG.. so I do have the plastic hood with the glass insert.. guess Id have to get the exact dimensions, or get a different hood

TG- Oh I do plan to stay under 2 wpg. With the triple strip hood, it should have about 120 Watts, so it's under the 1 wpg. It will be a VAST improvement over the 40 that is in there now. If it were your tank, would you just stick with the single bulb or upgrade to the double or triple? There really isn't much of a price difference between the double and triple ($20) so that's not an issue.

Thanks! I will look today and see if they have any in the stores, if not I'll have to order it.

I am in the process of ordering the light fixture from Big Al's. I have checked with other online stores and haven't found them any cheaper that at BA's. I just tried to call them, but it's after hours. Maybe someone else can help me here.

This is the light I am buying:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23887;category_id=1853;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

The bulbs that I am going to purchase at the same time are two of these:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_sku=7898

And one of these:
http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23535;category_id=2543

The fixture says that is uses T8 bulbs. Are the bulbs that I listed T8's? It doesn't say.

what would be the different between 2 actinic and 1 florescent and that combo? it seems the same to me?

i know theres something that im missing but i dont know what

I was looking at these bulbs at my LFS the other day and I want to say they are T12's, but I can't remember for sure. I'd go to the Coralife website and see if you can find out there, or google the coralife bulb description to get a listing of everyone who sells it, and maybe another retailer gives the size of the bulb. Definitely determine that beforehand.

I'll try that TG. I don't want to get a light fixture and not be able to find bulbs to fit it or have to return the bulbs back to Big Al's. I just bought the Actinic Bulb and it was a T12. I just wasn't sure if they made the T8's and I was missing it.

The Actinic bulbs give off a sort of moonlight look. It is very common with salties for the corals. It gives a blue tint to the light. The standard florescents do not do this. The light coming from those is white. The 50/50 is half standard flourescents and half actinic. At least that's what I got out of all of it. If I'm not right, please, correct me.

I am getting 2 50/50 lights for brightness and the Actinic to make the colors of the cichlids really pop.

That's what I have on my 37g African tank - 50/50 (CF) and it does not look bluish, even though there is actinic light. It looks like very white light, but the colors of the fish are really intensified. Incidentally, I am growing plants in this tank.

Ok, I just got done with my order. They don't sell Coralife bulbs that are 48" and T8's. Instead of trying to find Coralife's like that, I just got a different brand.

I got an All-Glass triple Tube Strip Light 48" Oak
2 Zoo Med Reef Sun 50/50 Flourescent Lamps- 48" (T8)
1 Zoo Med Coral Sun Actinic Flourescent Lamp- 48" (T8)

Does anyone have any experience with the Zoo Med lights?

I have not used Zoo Med lights - can't help you with that.

Bill, my fixture is 65w. Sorry I missed this thread and took so long to reply!

The lights came on Monday, and of course I won't be home until Friday night. But James opened up the box and installed the new lights. It has 2 50/50's and 1 Actinic. He said that it looks AWESOME! I can't WAIT to see it. He said that it looks so much better than the standard lights that came with it. I'm just SO excited! I ordered the Reflector Kit for the strip beacuse the woman at Big Al's said that it didn't come with one installed in the strip. Well, it came and it has one. So I'll have to return that, but other than that, the strip looks great! Thank you guys so much for suggesting the 50/50's and Actinic.

Awww...it's just the thing that we do fishy :D

TankGirl said:
Bill, my fixture is 65w. Sorry I missed this thread and took so long to reply!

LOL...don't worry about it TG...I'm sure you didn't expect me to "hijack" Fishy's thread. :wink:

I guess it's time that I subject myself to a little of my own advice and get these lights!

I just can't wait to see them on the tank. James said that they look 100X better than what we had. Then again, the watts was tripled. :D

Back
Top Bottom