Yet another lighting thread *Amazing!*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are just SO many components to lighting to put into consideration. I may end up adding the 55 gal light strips on the back of the 150 behind the strip to add lighting after I get the bulb for the 150. It will basically be experimentation.

Noone has commented on the question I posed before: So I could use a T12 bulb. From that link, it says that the T10's produce more light than the T12's. So, would that mean that I am better off using the T10 and not buying a T12? I could buy it and experiment but I'd kind of like to know before buying one.

Noone may know the answer to it, but I thought I'd give it a shot. :D

I know what you mean TG. There used to be a little mom and pop shop about 10 minutes from my house that would order you ANYTHING from livestock to parts to specific tubing or media. They had great employees and were VERY knowledgable and friendly. The couple sold the business to a woman that owns another store in town and the woman fired all of the employees. She hired new ones that were teenagers that didn't know the difference between a Comon Pleco and a Snowball Pleco. "They are the same thing" was what I was told. Anyways. Now the place won't special order, you get what you get, they have no guarentee on livestock, and the prices are sky high ($30 for a medium angel and $9.99 for a mystery snail). I hope this doesn't happen to you.

Well I went today and bought the lighting. They didn't have the 50/50 lights in my tank size, but the manager told me that the Coralife Actinic 40 Watt bulb would be much better. I don't know if maybe he was telling me that just so I would buy a light or what. But the hood already has reflectors in it. I was looking for bulbs with reflectors but didn't see any at any of the 3 stores we went to. Would there be an advantage to buying a bulb with reflectors if the hood already has reflectors?

James is putting it in the hood tonight (I wont be home until late tomorrow night :( ) so he's going to take pics and send them to me. What do you guys think?

T-12's are comparable to the T-10's according to the link that was posted. I hadn't heard of them until then. The difference is negliable, if any. You will still get the same affect IMO.

The coralife bulb is actinic only, which means you will only have the blue effect and no brightness.

I didn't know your strip only has a single bulb?

the reflectors in the bulbs do make a very little difference, if the fixture has a good reflector you dont need them.. and if you dont have plants the actinic only bulb will have a better effect if your looking for that color.. 50/50 bulbs are only made in power compact setups.. if you were looking for a 50/50 florescent bulb thats why you didnt find it.. hope it looks the way you were hoping.. ive seen green terrors with the same bulb you just got and it looks nice! :mrgreen:

The bulb I bought was a T12. They didn't have any T10's. And yes I only have a single bulb in the hood. I take it this means that I need to return the bulb?

Would the blue tint be similar to moonlight or would it be just similar to the current bulb with a little blue tint?

normal output florescents? because CF is florescent and that is what I was talking about.. If they make a normal output florescent bulb its news to me..and I stand corrected.. I still dont see how it could be a true 50/50 without at least 2 tubes though..

greenmagi said:
normal output florescents? because CF is florescent and that is what I was talking about.. If they make a normal output florescent bulb its news to me..and I stand corrected.. I still dont see how it could be a true 50/50 without at least 2 tubes though..

Well they have them, so I don't know what to tell you. Normal output. One bulb. 50/50.

Ok, so I will check out the lfs around where I live this weekend or send James to get a 50/50 bulb. And I got all excited when they actually had it. BUT, I guess now it would be pretty cool to put that bulb in at night and watch the fish. It won't be going to waste.

I just wish I understood lighting better.

Fishyfanatic said:
I just wish I understood lighting better.

Its more confusing than it has to be, they should just have one size width.

here's an example of a 1 tube 50/50.. i was thinking of getting it, but it's only 20W (what i currently have on my all-glass, 30" hood) I think im might get a new strip, with the 65W dual (50/50) bulbs..

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23525;category_id=2543

only downside of getting the new strip, (which I hope would fit on my all-glass hood?) is that its is a big jump in price.. might have to wait on that one.. here is the one im looking at that might fit my tank..

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=23375;category_id=1875

what's the general recommened watt per gallon ? 20 W for 37 gal i would assume is below... :cry:

From my understanding of it, whatever bulb fits into your hood is the highest you can get. For example, my hood only has space for 1 48" bulb. 48" bulbs are only sold in 40 Watts. Therefore I can only have a 40 watt bulb unless I upgrade the light strip to a CF. Right?

I was thinking of just upgrading the whole light unit. At this time I can't get what I really want (MH). So here's what I'm thinking about doing. Either:

1) Buy a single bulb strip light to put behind the one we currently have. Then have 1 50/50 bulb in it and 1 Actinic bulb in the other. OR, just get 2 50/50 bulbs.

2) Buy a double bulb strip light and have 1 Actinic bulb and 1 regular or the 50/50 way.

3) Buy a triple bulb strip light and have the center bulb be the Actinic Bulb.

The bulbs can be changed to whatever would be a better choice, just giving options. What do you guys think? I looked at Big Al's and the Triple strip light is only $100. So it's not like it's going to be breaking the bank. BUT, will any light strip work on any tank as long as it's the same width? I don't know the tank brand since I wasn't there when it was purchased.

I like the 2nd option.. Im not sure about your last question, I was wondering that myself.. about the coralife 30" fitting nicely on my all-glass 30" hood. I guess we need more feedback :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom