Yo Yo loaches...did I make a mistake?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brendainnj

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 3 of these guys in my newly cycled 46g bowfront, along cories & a dwarf gourami. When I brought them home, they were playing together & hanging out w/the cats too. Now after about a week, it seems they're settling in...each hanging out in its own little "space" without too much interaction w/any of the other loach or fish. Last night, one of my cories died...it had been lethargic, not hanging w/the others, but I'm hoping it was a natural demise, not an attack by the loaches. I found no body this morning :(.

Should I try to add 2 more loaches? Or wait...if I end up having to rehome them anyway, it seems harder to do 5 than 3. The store that I got them at is an hour away, plus @ $10-$12 ea. they're not the cheap (for me anyway). I've read a few forums that said they should not be kept w/cories, others say they're wonderful if you have enough! :confused: Plus not sure my tank is big enough for 5 + cories too.

Anyone?...hopefully w/first-hand knowledge:) Btw, I did also ask on the loach forum...still waiting after several days.

Yo yo loaches should be fine with cories, and on the body disappearing fish tend to eat dead fish so bodies tend to be eaten natural death or death by attack. You could up your school to 5 and I'm sure they would appreciate that or you could leave them as is. If you are susspicious of aggressive behavior just keep an eye on them.

Well, according to AqAdvisor, if I add just 2 more loaches I'll be @80% stock. Not so good. So I'll hope for the best w/my 3.

I've kept yo-yo's off and on since the 80's and I actually had 3 in a 55g tank for many years and they did fine. While loaches do like to be social with others of their species I've also found some just like their own company. I don't have a problem keeping 3 loaches as they can still be social if desired. I wouldn't keep less than that.

As for loaches and cory's I've always kept the two together and never had problems with loaches harassing cory's. Now I've had some loaches that loved to annoy angels by tickling their long feelers but that has been the extent of their mischief. Unless food is scarce they also won't outcompete cory's unless you have one of the very small species.

That's good to know that they're OK w/cories--I love those little guys! But I did enjoy the loaches interacting more...now they kind of pass each other by or squabble over who gets the spot under the log...I miss them playing together:(

Back
Top Bottom