You know you might have too many tanks when....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
Feeding time for your tanks begins to look like a side dish at a BBQ. :lol: :lol: :lol:

1001945.jpg

That is too funny Anne! When I feed mine, I have little bowls all over the place and the eel's shrimp looks like I am getting ready for some "shrimp on the barby"

Hara said:
That is too funny Anne! When I feed mine, I have little bowls all over the place and the eel's shrimp looks like I am getting ready for some "shrimp on the barby"

That would be a pic!

Let's just say you don't want to drink out of the shot glasses at my house. ;)

Seriously, they're just perfect for melting frozen food cubes. We don't tell our friends what they're really used for - I mean, the glasses go through the dishwasher, and what you don't know can't hurt you.

Zagz - out of curiosity, how long does it take you to clean all your tanks, and how frequently do you do it? I am all for weekly water changes, but just doing five tanks takes me an entire Saturday. Considering that I work Mon. - Fri., that means I have one day where I "don't have to do anything." LOL. Unless laundry, feeding the fish, cooking, cleaning, doing dishes, etc. counts as something. :)

I do water changes every 4-5 days. Usually 5 one day, 6 another. It takes about 2 hours to do 5 tanks. If I clean filters it takes longer but don't have to clean filters every week thank goodness!

Kilgore said:
Let's just say you don't want to drink out of the shot glasses at my house. ;)

Seriously, they're just perfect for melting frozen food cubes. We don't tell our friends what they're really used for - I mean, the glasses go through the dishwasher, and what you don't know can't hurt you.

Zagz - out of curiosity, how long does it take you to clean all your tanks, and how frequently do you do it? I am all for weekly water changes, but just doing five tanks takes me an entire Saturday. Considering that I work Mon. - Fri., that means I have one day where I "don't have to do anything." LOL. Unless laundry, feeding the fish, cooking, cleaning, doing dishes, etc. counts as something. :)

Well, I'm not Zagz, but..... LOL

I have 5 tanks, but my QT is empty and just adding ammonia to keep the cycle up on it for now til I get a batch of eggs from my Rams. So it won't count, as I don't do maintenance on it other than a quickie pwc.

But my other 4 tanks, 3 being planted and 1 not, my weekly maintenance is about 2 hours. That's cleaning the glass if needed, and 50% PWC's. Sometimes I extend it out to 3 hours, but for most cases, just 2 hours. That's all.

That is just way too funny. I hope my BN don't have me going that hard when I finally get mine to breed.

You know you have too man tanks when you set your alarm for feeding time and are always late to work.

Hhhmm, guess I am just slow. I do use the python on my bigger tanks, but on all of them I have to add baking soda (KH out of the tap is only 1-2), measure Equilibrium, and calculate fertilizer dosages. Add cleaning the glass and filter maintenance, and it sure feels like an entire day. I spend about 40 minutes per tank, more if there are "issues." These are all fairly new tanks, so I guess I spend a lot of time just puttsing around with them when I do the PWC's. Since they are all planted, the most time intensive thing seems to be putting them all back together so that they look nice. I should pick up speed over time. But I guess all hobbies are time intensive, and the results here are certainly worth it. :)

Zagz said:
I do water changes every 4-5 days. Usually 5 one day, 6 another. It takes about 2 hours to do 5 tanks. If I clean filters it takes longer but don't have to clean filters every week thank goodness!

I know that feeling....I make sure to do 8 tanks daily, which allows me one water-change per tank per week....falling behind even one or two days can make catch-up hell.

Back
Top Bottom