Wanted: 55 gallon tank hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bluechannelcat

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
i need a 55 gallon tank hood, i'm low on money so if someone has one for little to nothing that would be great, or something damaged such as a non working light, since i know how to fix that, i really need a lid so i can upgrade to a 55 but i don't have the funds to by a new hood, and i can get the tank for like $20, thanks

**** thats a good idea, thanks man, i din't know you were really suppose to run it without a proper lid, i'm gonna do that, thanks again

what kinda shop light, like flourecent tube lights, cause i got one in the garage i think thats not in use, how high above the tank would you hang it, i don't want to damage the fixture from the water, since when i had a 5 gallon i put a flouecent light bulb in it the water that kinda splashed up from the bubbles it blew the light out.idk if it would do it to a tube light though

ya florescent works but it's not too pretty. try and get 2"-3" off the water top if possible. Make sure it cant fall in or get splashed on!!! i used to hooks in the sealing with some rope the first time and it worked well till i moved. if you want an actual hood though, you can get a sheet of Plexiglas glass and cut it to size allowing for filter room and tubes. Also super glue extra pieces on for handles makes getting in a lot easier. i think it cost me about $15 all together. It also helps on evaporation.

yeah i was thinking of getting a flourecent light fixture and set it ontop of some plexi glass and put hinges on one piece so i can lift it up without taking off and ct out spots for the filter and tubes, i like how flourecent light looks in the tank

I would use glass, plexi will yellow and sag over time.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium Advice app

Yes, I'm assuming your tank is 48", with a center brace.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium Advice app

or go to lowes with the measurements, they will cut it for free, the glass will be like $3-4 apiece for each 24x11 top measure it exacty how you want, leave a couple inches for filters and stuff

Where are you located.
I'm getting a used 55 from a guy at work. He found the NO light fixtures in the garage and I told him I didn't want. If you're nearby and he didn't get rid of yet you can stop over and pick it up.

Back
Top Bottom