All Cherry Shrimp Molting At Once

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ianeberle

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought 10 red cherry shrimp and they have been in my 10 gallon for about five days now. Yesterday I noticed that one of them has molted and today I noticed 3 or 4 shells on the substrate? Is it normal for the whole population to molt at once? Also, I understand that the females mate after molting?

Yep I'd say it's normal ... even the deaths ... although just keep on monitoring your water parameters. Within a week of mine going into their tank, I had a few molts. Yesterday I saw another molt. Were the two dead larger than the others? Adult shrimp have a harder time adjusting to new water parameters than younger shrimp.

Hopefully you'll have some females with eggs hatch and you'll start to increase your colony.

The other two actually seemed smaller than the others. After I got home from school today I saw a few more shells on the substrate, so I think the remaining 8 shrimps have molted successfully. I just hope they start mating soon!

I found a dead shrimp in my tank should those be removed?

Is it an RCS? Could it be an empty shell from a shrimp that molted? Either way I'd say leave it. Shrimp cannibalize their own dead and they'll much on molted shells to regain minerals.

One thing to note is that if they do not eat the shrimp, it could cause ammonia influxes.

I would say leave empty shells, but remove the dead ones. The empty shells provide nutrients back to the shrimp.

One dead RCS shouldn't cause too much of an Ammo spike, now a dead adult bamboo's another matter.

Back
Top Bottom