Blue Bolt??? New shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
These do not seem like what I previously thought I was getting. *story next post if interested.

Maybe 7 adult and sub adult
and was told there were a total of 19. That makes the rest tiny unknowns.

No pic yet but I have some pretty shrimp with blue, like a nearly Mosura and a blue banded with white body. A couple bee looking ones and a number of blues which seem to be good medium blue body BB shrimp, they were still kinda pale from the activity of the day. Babies are sooooo small and some are basically white at this point in their development. Half seem to be a few weeks and the others maybe born this week.

I got a hunk of interesting moss. Will have to ask the name.

$70 okay deal but really depends how many little ones make it and what color grades they are when they grow up. Online it seems you can get a fair grade, maybe S for around 6. to 7.50 depending on if it includes standard shipping.

Pics tomorrow.

Whining and complaining story skip if you don't want to hear the rant.

A couple times I have bought shrimp from this local hobby breeder.

Previously told seller I was interested in more BB.

May 31, I received a note saying the shrimp were for sale. Ask for pics. A week later I get a video and a good number were deep or extreme BB. 17 shrimp, one berried and some small ones over half are breeding adults.

After a couple days and discussing price I agree to a price and said let me check about the money when I can meet up. A few hours later I agreed and said I had the money available the next day.

Then hear nothing for over 9 days, then told he's been very busy with work and I tell him I am available much any day. June 20.

Ghosted.

So a couple weeks ago, have heard nothing so I send a message asking when I can pick the shrimp up.

Unrelated - So he posts a couple items today. Seeing him actively alive...

I message him and let him know I am wanting to pic up the shrimp and how many, how much and what time.

He says there have been some difficulties recently.

Am told there were 10 shrimp and the price would be determined if he found some additional shrimp in the tank. Reduced from what was discussed before.

So I get a pic and it looks like 6 adult shrimp, he said 2 are berried - that's nice. And about 6 pretty small fry. He says there are 19 but a bunch are small.

Find out that the situation of what WAS previously available and what is presently available seem to be VERY different.

This leads me to think, maybe it is wrong to, but that he sold off the majority of the better quality shrimp and 2+ months later these smallish adults are the previous babies.

The number of mid sized shrimp is way not the same and the shrimp in the pic looks different.

Still interested though, and then find out most of them are pee wee shrimp, a hand full like just born a couple days back to a week old. So I bought a bunch of shrimp with blue color, and white color and blue and white color.

Frustrated with the experience but even though they weren't exactly what I was expecting, they were raised locally in basically the same water, eating some of the same foods I feed and am reservedly happy about it. Pending how many survive.

Last edited:
Not very good shrimp quality I think

Pics

Under the little Coral Moss was about 7 baby shadows I saw when I moved it.

And there were maybe 7 or 9 bigger ones I saw.

I moved a bunch of nano moss balls I had in a little decorative glass container into their container to give them something new to pick at. They are still in a container this morning.

Tonight I moved a giant Moss ball the size of a tennis /baseball in there from the other CRS/PRL tank.

I am not pleased with their apparent quality. I hope they will be fun shrimp and the babies will be nice.

The bigger ones were definitely the culls of the culls. :ermm: I got culls from him before and they were pretty nice - before.

Should have bought them online.

**Lesson to learn from here, get good pics of the actual shrimp. And don't buy them without clear pics. Trusted he was honest since I had dealt with him before.

60074-albums14863-picture72908.jpg

Little baby at the top straight up from the lower ones head. That's not even the smallest ones!

60074-albums14863-picture72907.jpg

60074-albums14863-picture72906.jpg

60074-albums14863-picture72905.jpg

60074-albums14863-picture72903.jpg

My biggest thought is would the babies and parents have okay babies or should I throw them all into the PRL/CRS tank. Will think it over for another day.

All the "BB" group looks great after getting settled in. When I mean great, they have good colors, but they do not all look like BB and some are a little odd but there are a couple regular BB and one really super awesome Blue Shadow, all look happy.

Today they were scurrying all around for at least 2 hours and they were mating, all the shrimp were feeling happy by the looks of things.

60074-albums14863-picture72923.jpg

60074-albums14863-picture72924.jpg

This ones a pretty poor pic, but mostly including it so you can see the odd pattern.
60074-albums14863-picture72925.jpg

This one same, poor pic. My phone camera wasn't happy with them flying all around the tank, hard to get it to stay focused.

This at first glance seems all white and black, but it has a blush of blue across the back of the body and the big black band is a hint of blue black you can see a little more under the body and when the light hits the sides.

60074-albums14863-picture72929.jpg

Hope to get a few better pics soon.

Been doing pwc of about 2 gallons every 5 days to a week varies by how much I think it should get, mainly based on how much I fed them. But will move towards 1G every few days. Keeping it a little bit more even I hope.

Though the shrimp were so fluttery to day, must have all molted after the big water change was ~3G yesterday, and it's breeding time!

All the "BB" group looks great after getting settled in. When I mean great, they have good colors, but they do not all look like BB and some are a little odd but there are a couple regular BB and one really super awesome Blue Shadow, all look happy.

Today they were scurrying all around for at least 2 hours and they were mating, all the shrimp were feeling happy by the looks of things.

60074-albums14863-picture72923.jpg

60074-albums14863-picture72924.jpg

This ones a pretty poor pic, but mostly including it so you can see the odd pattern.
60074-albums14863-picture72925.jpg

This one same, poor pic. My phone camera wasn't happy with them flying all around the tank, hard to get it to stay focused.

This at first glance seems all white and black, but it has a blush of blue across the back of the body and the big black band is a hint of blue black you can see a little more under the body and when the light hits the sides.

60074-albums14863-picture72929.jpg

Hope to get a few better pics soon.

Been doing pwc of about 2 gallons every 5 days to a week varies by how much I think it should get, mainly based on how much I fed them. But will move towards 1G every few days. Keeping it a little bit more even I hope.

Though the shrimp were so fluttery to day, must have all molted after the big water change was ~3G yesterday, and it's breeding time!

Those are some good looking Blue Bolts! I have never kept Caridina shrimp because I've always been a little put off by their sensitivity to water parameters, but maybe I will give it a try! These look great!

My CRS and PRL shrimp in that tank (which of course look the same) are breeding like crazy right now so I have some available if you are interested in trying them out. Reason they are in there is I got sent CRS shrimp with a shipment instead of PRL and found out when their babies were born, so I removed them, as there were just a few shrimp and I knew which 2 recently gave birth they were removed). Anyway they have PRL lineage and I added some of the not SS or SSS PRL to that tank and boom we have lots of little ones and juveniles and newborns all the time.

In my tank, I have pretty low kH less than 1 usually just a hint of color so maybe a half. 120-150 GH, pH runs 6.7-7.2 using tap water. differing pH is because part of the year we get melt off lake water and the other part is run off reservoir water which I guess is in a rock bowl so it's harder. I use leaves of all sorts and have DW and that way pH can even go lower at times. If your can do similar water conditions I wouldn't worry about these locally raised shrimp particularly, as once they get going in the tank, 3-6 months they start breeding pretty well.

The BB are locally raised as well next town over similar water source, if not the same.

A shrimp breeder I watch has some over the top Deep BB. And at $20 per shrimp I would love to get a group and start breeding them. Best I have seen, but it isn't in my budget, so he suggested some Shadow Panda or Shadow Mosura.

Waiting to see what their "more affordable" price is. I paid $15.00 around January for one pretty shadow Mosura. $15 each is still not in the budget for a group. Maybe $9-10 each for some nice ones. I keep trying not to set up more tanks, but I would for these awesome BB's.

I keep meaning to start using RO and Salty Shrimp remineralizer, which I have, but then I have to figure out a similar combination and keep it mixed in my 5G jug for water changes.

Back
Top Bottom