Breeding Ghost Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone,
I have a Fire Eel that only eats Ghost Shrimp and its getting expensive always buying them for him. How do I breed Ghost Shrimp???? I have a 20 gallon with sand that ill be breeding them in. Please help.
Thanks guys.

Well you can TRY and breed them but it really isnt worth it. It will take many many months for the ghost shrimp to grow... That grow sooo slow it sucks. Thats assuming you can get the female to give birth without eating the babies.

i would venture to say its situationally dependent...

when i had my 20G that my brother now has i was able to get the ghost shrimp to reproduce in a tank with crappy(cycling) water conditions.. they started to overwhelm my tank until i added my eclipse cat to the tank... he was able to cut the population in half in about a week.

downside is their lifespan. most ghost shrimp don't live past 4 months(most!) but i could be wrong... so i would say give it a shot. they are very tough little creatures and will eat just about anything you put in the tank(in small, small pieces) i used to catch mine stealing flakes, shrimp pellets and algea rounds from my tank and hiding them INSIDE the bubbler they setup shop in to keep them away from the fish... that is untill the catfish figured out how to get into the bubbler himself... bye bye ghost shrimp, hello fat cat..

Try cherry shrimp. Although they are expensive at first they can reproduce easily and wont be too much money after your tank is settled with the females reproducing

I did the same thing with cherries for my bass. Only thing is ghost shrimp are about double the size of my RCS. But the RCS population exploded.

Back
Top Bottom