Cherry shrimp keeping dropping eggs...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bhavik95

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have about a dozen cherry shrimps in a 5 gallon open top tank with a few plants a moss ball and java moss.

Yesterday one of my female shrimps molted and soon after became berried for the second time. She dropped a few eggs here and there yesterday which im guessing is to inexperience but today when the lights came on i saw a pile of eggs sitting there..... why did see drop all of them again? :(
I thought they only drop their eggs the first time round???:confused:

is there any how i can stop them dropping there eggs or care for them myself?
I know that might be difficult but anything that may increase my cherry population

Thanks any help will be appreciated :)

I havent really tested my parameters but i know they are fine as i have had these guys for about four months or a bit longer now and havent lost any (touch wood).

they are eating fine and moulting properly as well and they must be fine if they are breeding no?
Also i do water changes every week

It has been done to raise eggs to maturation.

Maybe there is something not quite right. I might ask your water parameters, like KH and GH, etc.

I havent really tested my parameters but i know they are fine as i have had these guys for about four months or a bit longer now and havent lost any (touch wood).

they are eating fine and moulting properly as well and they must be fine if they are breeding no?

Also i do water changes every week

Testing your water parameters would be a first start.

What do you mean it's may be done to raise eggs to maturation?

And I don't have anything to test the water and I don't think I can really buy anything to test it.
But my water must be fine if the shrimps are all fine no?
They are eating and running around fine and I haven't lost any yet.

What could cause the shrimps to lose their eggs?

Also is there anyway I could care for the dropped eggs myself until they start swimming?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you haven't had any deaths doesn't mean your water is fine.

Just buy a water testing kit. API master test kit for instance.

Also, how long have you had your tank setup? How long have you had your shrimps?

It's a really essential bit of kit the API Master Test Kit and if you want your fish and shrimp to be healthy and happy then you should really get one.

Are you sure it's the same shrimp that has dropped its eggs twice? Maybe two different females have berried and dropped once each.

All of mine look the same and, unless they're berried, I can't even tell male from female.

But surely if they weren't happy with the water then some of them would start to die wouldn't they?

I'm currently unable to buy a water test kit so I doubt i'll be able to test my water.
But I did get it tested with the LFS and they said it was fine and there was no problem

And yes I am 100% sure it was the same shrimp as she is the most brightly coloured shrimp I have.

Anyways, maybe you have a dumb shrimp. Dunno.

Some of my shrimps that I got as babies have dropped all of her eggs the first round, and it was pretty much most of her eggs the 2nd time.

Oh yeah, saw my fire red in the community tank today, and she didn't have that many eggs and she's not young. I've had her since December or so as a juvie.

Poor water quality could cause a young shrimp or any shrimp to drop eggs. PH issues GH / general hardness and KH carbonate hardness does make a difference.

The basic testing done at the fish store is often done by people who don't really know what they are doing or what all those numbers mean. Most lfs people know nearly nothing about keeping shrimp!!! Even guys who've been around for 30 years.

It would be useful for you to have actual readings of numbers from the lfs. Also to run a GH/KH test which can be free or cost up to $5.

That is why earning, saving for (or getting a test kit for your birthday) would be a great investment.

Just because the shrimp are alive doesn't mean everything is ideal conditions.

Did you say how often your pwc are and what kind of water dechlorinator do you use?

What are you feeding them?

I agree you should definitely get kits to test the parameters. Just because they aren't dead doesn't mean there aren't issues. Especially with mineral levels for molting. Just because they are living doesn't mean they are doing well. They could just be coping with an issue that makes breeding almost impossible

Honestly until we know parameters it's kind of like shooting into the dark for help. There were really good questions asked- parameters but also feeding and water change schedules. Most local fish stores can help you if you are in a pinch but they might not have gh and kh at some of the chain stores.

You're posting because you don't think your tank/shrimp are fine. Knowing your water parameters is better than saying it must be fine because nothing has died yet.

A test kit is important, but you can start off buying the cheaper, short run, test strips. Wallmart has them for like ~$12, which test for most everything except ammonia, have to buy that one separately. Or, if you are really on a budget, take some water to petsmart and they can test it for you for free.

Question also for you about what you said in the first post

"Yesterday one of my female shrimps molted and soon after became berried for the second time. She dropped a few eggs here and there yesterday which im guessing is to inexperience but today when the lights came on i saw a pile of eggs sitting there..... why did see drop all of them again? "

Are you saying that you had the shrimp in the pic molt, be saddled, and have eggs and drop eggs in a ~24 hour period?

I agree you should definitely get kits to test the parameters. Just because they aren't dead doesn't mean there aren't issues. Especially with mineral levels for molting. Just because they are living doesn't mean they are doing well. They could just be coping with an issue that makes breeding almost impossible

Honestly until we know parameters it's kind of like shooting into the dark for help. There were really good questions asked- parameters but also feeding and water change schedules. Most local fish stores can help you if you are in a pinch but they might not have gh and kh at some of the chain stores.

FYI - Check the Saltwater section, I just saw KH/GH at Petsmart in their tiny section.

Question also for you about what you said in the first post

"Yesterday one of my female shrimps molted and soon after became berried for the second time. She dropped a few eggs here and there yesterday which im guessing is to inexperience but today when the lights came on i saw a pile of eggs sitting there..... why did see drop all of them again? "

Are you saying that you had the shrimp in the pic molt, be saddled, and have eggs and drop eggs in a ~24 hour period?

FYI - Check the Saltwater section, I just saw KH/GH at Petsmart in their tiny section.

Yeah I understand I need to buy a test kit currently I cannot buy one

No I mean that she was already saddled when I took a picture and then after she had moulted she become berried I took the second picture

It then dropped the eggs after around 24 hours

I do water changes every week and I feed them granule food or flake food and sometimes algae wafers

Back
Top Bottom