Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jbaygurl78745

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So last night the kiddos brought home a cray fish from the local waterfalls and wanted me put it in my tank. But that was not happening as I don't know wat it may or may not have. And the flack it's not use to tank water, so after a 20 min talk I agreed wit them that they could use a ten gallon tank. Told them to go get some rocks by where they found it and took them to get a couple buckets of the water. Hocked a filter up to the tank as well as a air stone. I told kids they will have bring home water lk 4 times a week to do water changes now is this ok to do??? Or should I make them put him back? If its ok to keep him wat Should I feed him?

Just feed sinking pellets and you should be able to do water changes from the tap they are pretty hard things

Keep it in the 10gal and i'd say You could little by little do PWC's with treated tap water. Let it adjust from river water to your tap.

Most likely fine to keep, although you may need to check local collection laws or ordinances. If you're tap water is chlorinated, you will need to treat it with something (like Prime) to remove the chlorine. If you want your kids to learn about keeping pets, nothing wrong with making them pack water for water changes, although I doubt you will need to do them four times a week. Once or twice a week should be good, provided you don't leave decaying food material in the tank. You can feed it sinking pellets as mentioned, cut-up pieces of earthworms, dying feeder goldfish or guppies, greens (like lettuce), ect. They are opportunistic omnivores that typically feed on plant matter, but they will eat most anything you put in the tank as food.

Back
Top Bottom