Crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like what you're doing is working. If you can post a picture, I'd really like to see the bulky guy plus any others. Sounds like a cool setup you have there.

I'll post some pics later after I finish cleaning up. There's a storm here these past couple days so I've been wary about cleaning and water changes cause it might shock my pets due to the cold weather.

Meanwhile. An ARC that a crayfish breeder sent on Facebook

Attachments

• received_3045640222406376.jpg
    received_3045640222406376.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 25
Specter replenishing some calcium. I don't feed him till he finishes the whole shell. 2nd one is the mud bred red swamp. He was really dirty when I got him. Hasn't molted yet and his claws are visibly huge compared to my specter that I raised myself when he was just 1 month old I think. I saw a specter at a pet store that was 3 months old and was bigger than both of them. Wanted to buy it but I'm watching my budget since I saw some rare blue destructor that's going to be sold next month. The parents came from Thailand I think and the craylings are locally bred and being sold for cheap so I'm jumping at the chance. That's why I'm looking for different sources of protein that I can feed them so they get bigger cause destructors grow pretty big.

Attachments

• IMG_20230221_203520.jpg
    IMG_20230221_203520.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230221_203814.jpg
    IMG_20230221_203814.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20230221_205418.jpg
    IMG_20230221_205418.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 22
They are all really good looking. That mudbug is what we have all over here in S. Louisiana. In fact it's almost crawfish season here, where 50 lb sacks of them are available for boiling (having a crawfish boil, inviting a few dozen people, boiling several sacks of crawfish - that's a party here). The first time I ever went to one I saw a lone cray, escaped from the sack, running for his life toward the bushes. I gave him a little push to aid his escape. It's weird, I know, to enjoy eating something that one likes keeping as a pet. But maybe no stranger than ducks, chickens, and goats.

Haha. My uncle is a retired Navy from there so when he saw my Cray he said yum yum yum. I told him those were my pets xD yea it is kinda weird when you think about it but I've never tried Craw yet.

Btw, is there any chance you could identify this? We're told it was a Blue destructor but me and some of the guys who're planning to buy it are a little unsure. One told me they look like Clarkii's, I thought it was an arc but idk

Attachments

• IMG_20230223_020313.jpg
    IMG_20230223_020313.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20230223_020344.jpg
    IMG_20230223_020344.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20230223_020359.jpg
    IMG_20230223_020359.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 21
Hm...Blue Destructors are usually...blue. And white crays, like Ghost or Spector, are...white. But having said that, there are variations on the Destructors, including a dirty white which may take on a tinge of color like blue or rust-red. Most crayfish start out pale, even sorta white, as infants, and color up as they move through their first year. Any idea how old it is? If under 6 months, possibly it will turn out to be something besides a white. But if it's beyond adolescence and still that white I'm guessing it's a...white.

Not sure, it's hard to ask the guy selling. A guy I was talking to who was planning to buy some too told me he was gonna make sure and let me know. He asked on Facebook and the seller said it changed color and that some of their destructors changed color depending on the diet and stuff. Well at least he guaranteed it wasn't an arc. I'm just annoyed he said he couldn't get me a guaranteed pair cause it was impossible to gender them unless they're 2 inches in a kinda condescending way. I'm thinking uh I have dwarf crays which are around 1inch and we could gender them just fine. I just didn't say anything cause he might get vindictive and give me all males instead lol

Beautiful crays, sorry about the attitude you're getting. I have a general rule in life, "If it's not a definite yes, it's a definite no", meaning if I'm not sure, waffling, have doubts, unclear and unsure, I don't jump. It's saved me money (and heartbreak) and stopped me from making some massively poor decisions. Then again, those are lovely pearly glowing crays, and they would be a pleasure to look at no matter what they turn out to be.

That's a really great motto that I'm now going to steal hehe. Guess I'll think about it for now.

Back
Top Bottom