How Big of a tank for Ghost Shrimp breeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gobluewolverines4

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, pay day is tomorrow! $$$$
But I'm looking to go out and buy some GS to perhaps breed, what size tank would I need, and what kind of setup? Bare? Dense? Sand? Gravel? I know about the panty hose filter thing, so I've got that covered. Thanks

I would not go with ghost shrimp to breed... Its really hard. I tried it and 3 months in the babys were still microscopic and it was no fun. Breed red cherry shrimp. A bit more expensive, but they breed like rabbits

Tried it. Have had no luck yet. Wouldn't recommend. Nunu is right. Hugely frustrating with no reward.

Wouldn't recommend it either I have had berried females and the young get eaten by the others you'd have to constantly separate the female and separate her again so she doesn't eat her own young
Ghost shrimp are pretty aggressive shrimp and definitely eat their own young
I'd go with everyone and choose cherries it is a bit more expensive but you get your moneys worth since your tank will be pretty full in a few months

Went to my store today, and they didn't have any shrimp. Except ghost. But anyways, my main guy said that cherry's are $4, but he's also ordering some what he calls blackberry (I recall) which are $2 and are the same thing.

gobluewolverines4 said:
Went to my store today, and they didn't have any shrimp. Except ghost. But anyways, my main guy said that cherry's are $4, but he's also ordering some what he calls blackberry (I recall) which are $2 and are the same thing.

I saw those blackberry/blueberry ones at an online shop. They are really pretty. And also far more expensive than cherries. If you have a chance for those snag em.

gobluewolverines4 said:

Had a thought though.... Since you said they are cheaper.... Any chance what he's calling blackberry is the natural coloration?

gobluewolverines4 said:
Not a clue.

Well nm when you get them post some pics! Sposed to have 30 RCS arriving tues. I saw some lovely blue and also some gorgeous yellow ones but price was too high for my blood.

Lonestarbandit said:
Well nm when you get them post some pics! Sposed to have 30 RCS arriving tues. I saw some lovely blue and also some gorgeous yellow ones but price was too high for my blood.

Will do! Just waiting for the phone call!

$4 each is expensive. I sell them for a buck apiece. It's likely that I can send you a starter colony for cheaper even with shipping included. PM if interested.

severum mama said:
$4 each is expensive. I sell them for a buck apiece. It's likely that I can send you a starter colony for cheaper even with shipping included. PM if interested.

Pm'ed you

Back
Top Bottom