I need help identifying these bugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christianc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Small white worms, almost microscopic white dots moving around and small round clusters of what look to be eggs 1481915707373.jpg

I don't see the eggs.
The worms are common detritus worms and OK, OR planaria and not real good?
You can search and see which ID is right..
Hope this helps.

I circled the eggs and I can't seem to find a page that ids these ones specifically. I have a high quality zoomed video of them but can't upload videos here1481939793158.jpg

Oddly, I did not get an option to change the resolution.
Anyhow, that is pretty much what I see in my shrimp tank. Fish tank, not as much. It's a mixture of various worms (some flatworms and non-parasitic flukes), crustaceans, and other organisms. Normal fauna.

I only have a bristlenose pleco and redtail catfish in the tank. I only feed a half cube of bloodworms and a quarter of a algae wafer every other day with no left over food in the tank. I don't know where they are coming from. I also do 25 percent water changes weekly sometimes two if the worm population sky rockets. Also have been treating for fin rot because the bristlenose showed signs of it after I purchased him.

I only have a bristlenose pleco and redtail catfish in the tank. I only feed a half cube of bloodworms and a quarter of a algae wafer every other day with no left over food in the tank. I don't know where they are coming from. I also do 25 percent water changes weekly sometimes two if the worm population sky rockets. Also have been treating for fin rot because the bristlenose showed signs of it after I purchased him.

I understand the frustrations your having towards these tiny nuisances. I had an outbreak in my 10g once and it drove me nuts. But don't fret! There is a way to control them without too much effort. Here's what I learned:
1) Detritus worms won't hurt your current stock at all. They can sometimes cause issues with shrimp and snails, but your catfish are fine.
2) Just because you don't see any leftover food, doesn't mean there isn't any. Your fish lose crumbs in the substrate while eating. Plus, not everything they eat gets completely digested, so the worms can live off fish poop too.
3) Gravel vacuuming well with water changes will get rid of them over time. I would recommend doubling the amount of water you change to 50% weekly, make sure to vacuum well, and you should start seeing improvement. If you can, just add a second water change to your week.

Also, some small fish eat these worms and other organisms. My rummynose keep my 55g clear of all things smaller than them.

You can additionally cut back on food a bit. Maybe skip a feeding once in awhile. I only feed 2-3 times a week, and I can easily tell when my daughter has been supplementing them....[emoji12]

Really? A real red tailed cat?:nono:
What size is your tank?
I know 'off topic' but I had a hard time passing this by.You don't sound like the most experienced keeper...I apologize if I am wrong or sound insulting.I just wonder....
Do you know about red tail catfish ?:popcorn:

I actually have a few years experience. Just never had this hard of a time ridding a pest. And yes I know all about rt catfish. I bought it off a friend because he couldn't care for it properly. He's currently in a 40 gallon but I'm upgrading to a 120 gallon in about a month. I also spoke with my local discovery aquarium and they will purchase him off of me when he outgrows the tank.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have a few years experience. Just never had this hard of a time ridding a pest. And yes I know all about rt catfish. I bought it off a friend because he couldn't care for it properly. He's currently in a 40 gallon but I'm upgrading to a 120 gallon in about a month. I also spoke with my local discovery aquarium and they will purchase him off of me when he outgrows the tank.

Good to know. I gulped too when I read that!

The tiny worms could be Planaria, more vac'ing, less food, more pwc. They have a stage where they look like little floss pieces in the tank. Stuck on things but also going with the flow in the water column. Planaria have that tell tale arrow shape head though and somewhere you would see it if it is, even if you need a magnifying glass.

Good to know. I gulped too when I read that!

The tiny worms could be Planaria, more vac'ing, less food, more pwc. They have a stage where they look like little floss pieces in the tank. Stuck on things but also going with the flow in the water column. Planaria have that tell tale arrow shape head though and somewhere you would see it if it is, even if you need a magnifying glass.
I'm thinking they have to be planaria, I've seen copepods in the tank too. It's just weird because they came out of no where. I haven't changed the feeding or maintenance schedule at all and they just appeared and started multiplying like crazy

I had billows of cotton fiber looking things floating around, a lot for my size tank - Planaria.

here are a couple links for some help if they are indeed Planaria.

This uses liquid goat dewormer active ingredient Fenbendazole. Imho, it is easier to measure and disperses into the water better than the tablets used to treat dogs for worms - same active ingredient med. Slightly more expensive. Post #16 has the dosing ratios. Safe dosage for snails and inverts
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f129/planaria-220067.html

Guide to Planaria and Hydra Elimination - Aquarium Advice

I have the same thing happening to my tank.I watched your video on 720p The very small white things on the glass that move very slowly, with a little bit larger ones sqwiggling around. Do you have an update on them?

16811018_1352990331390905_1851922380_o.jpg

Back
Top Bottom