Micro crabs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
um lets start with a planted tank with lots of driftwood and maybe some sand or fluval planting stratum because these guys like the soft and acidic side maybe ph of 6.5 would do

I've only had them once and despite best efforts they did not last very long. 5G tank, heavily planted, LOTS of floaters with long heavy roots. In nature they spend a lot of time in water hyacinth roots, which are not native to their country but have invaded and the crabs seem to like them.
They're very shy, hiding under wood preferably and appear to feed at night. Not sure if they are filter feeders or not.. they appear to have pretty bristly front legs so they may use them to help catch some things to eat, but they have claws too.
If you get some, good luck.

you might want to look into vampire crabs too, they are easier and don't require the soft acidic water. they prefer 2/3 land and 1/3 water so that would be more of a vivarium than and aquarium. they are very interesting though, their young don't go through a larval stage and come out looking like mini adults. my lfs has them in betta bowls for 14.99

you might want to look into vampire crabs too, they are easier and don't require the soft acidic water. they prefer 2/3 land and 1/3 water so that would be more of a vivarium than and aquarium. they are very interesting though, their young don't go through a larval stage and come out looking like mini adults. my lfs has them in betta bowls for 14.99

I agree with choosing vampire crabs, I just got 2 not long ago and they're very easy to keep, feeding them hasn't been a problem at all. Plus they look pretty cool.

Attachments

• image-59853946.jpg
    image-59853946.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 108
  • image-2299185003.jpg
    image-2299185003.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 106
I am hoping to get some thai micros soon as well. They may not be the easiest but they are the only fully aquatic fw crab I can find!

I would like to try them too! Something different to learn... ;) Plus I have a great little tank that would fit right by my bed so I could spy on them at night.

I would like to try them too! Something different to learn... ;) Plus I have a great little tank that would fit right by my bed so I could spy on them at night.

Lol mine is by my bed too. Just need some moonlight....

Back
Top Bottom