mixing shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellyx

Aquarium Advice Addict
Is it possible to put different shrimp in with my amanos without issues? Thanks

Yep! Cherry Shrimp go great. Amanos eat Algae only so you'll be fine.

They are scavengers and eat all kinds of things, especially love the Hikari omnivore sinking pellets!!!

I found this out from putting them in my shrimp only tank and would only give them algae wafers bits. I got Shrimp Cuisine food and the Amanos were going crazy to get it, I mean crazy. Long story shorter...

I got a batch of medium small Mystery snails and one had a cracked shell. The next day there was one Amano feverishly rolling that snail around like an addict to his addiction. Didn't think that was a big deal since they "only eat algae", later that day, same thing, but got into the shell more and really seemed to be picking at the snail inside the shell. :eek:

So I dropped the Hikari bottom feeder omnivore sinking wafer in there and they attacked it FEROCIOUSLY!!!

So after that I decided I had my proof they weren't vegetarians LOL!

That all said, I haven't ever seen them eat a shrimp, but I never saw the momma CPO eat her babies either, and I know the dwarf shrimp didn't eat the healthy baby CPOs!:blink:

My RCS and Amanos are still together but if I was really trying to breed the shrimp I might not keep them in there, or with expensive shrimp :brows:

Just some food for thought.

They are scavengers and eat all kinds of things, especially love the Hikari omnivore sinking pellets!!!

I found this out from putting them in my shrimp only tank and would only give them algae wafers bits. I got Shrimp Cuisine food and the Amanos were going crazy to get it, I mean crazy. Long story shorter...

I got a batch of medium small Mystery snails and one had a cracked shell. The next day there was one Amano feverishly rolling that snail around like an addict to his addiction. Didn't think that was a big deal since they "only eat algae", later that day, same thing, but got into the shell more and really seemed to be picking at the snail inside the shell. :eek:

So I dropped the Hikari bottom feeder omnivore sinking wafer in there and they attacked it FEROCIOUSLY!!!

So after that I decided I had my proof they weren't vegetarians LOL!

That all said, I haven't ever seen them eat a shrimp, but I never saw the momma CPO eat her babies either, and I know the dwarf shrimp didn't eat the healthy baby CPOs!:blink:

My RCS and Amanos are still together but if I was really trying to breed the shrimp I might not keep them in there, or with expensive shrimp :brows:

Just some food for thought.

Hi, thats strange what you said about the amanos, i had two snail's in my tank they were doing great till I added my shrimp they started closing up and hardly moving one day i caught the shrimp with their feet trying to get inside my snail's shell sadly I lost both of my snail's. I'm actually getting blue jelly shrimp tomorrow i hope their nice to them! wanted to add color and my son loves his shrimp:)

Hi, thats strange what you said about the amanos, i had two snail's in my tank they were doing great till I added my shrimp they started closing up and hardly moving one day i caught the shrimp with their feet trying to get inside my snail's shell sadly I lost both of my snail's. I'm actually getting blue jelly shrimp tomorrow i hope their nice to them! wanted to add color and my son loves his shrimp:)

I am sorry to hear about your snails.

They seem to really want something meaty. So much for Algae eating shrimp.

Mine seem satisfied to get their 1 little wafer in the evening when I feed my shrimp, not that happy if they don't! If they seem to come over to the glass of the tank when I approach the tank, I will occasionally break one in half and give each a half.

Will love to see pics of the Jelly Shrimp!

My amano shrimp attacked a snail too... Bu it lived! Make sure you don't mix the Jelly and Cherry shrimp, they will breed.

I am sorry to hear about your snails.

They seem to really want something meaty. So much for Algae eating shrimp.

Mine seem satisfied to get their 1 little wafer in the evening when I feed my shrimp, not that happy if they don't! If they seem to come over to the glass of the tank when I approach the tank, I will occasionally break one in half and give each a half.

Will love to see pics of the Jelly Shrimp!

My amanos steal bloodworm when i feed my elephant nose so they definitely like meat lol I,ll post pics when I get them settled in really looking forward to having them and to think i never use to like shrimp!

Shrimp and snails (invertebrates in general) are awesome! The Amanos are really fun to watch. I wish we had more colors for them like Neos.

Really like my snail's and shrimp love my apples. Amanos would look cool in more colors especially the size they get!

Shrimp and snails (invertebrates in general) are awesome! The Amanos are really fun to watch. I wish we had more colors for them like Neos.

Want a large shrimp with color? Bamboo Shrimp color up when they get older. They become a nice red color :)

Want a large shrimp with color? Bamboo Shrimp color up when they get older. They become a nice red color :)

They're cool shrimp I had a few a year ago sent my husband for green neon shrimp and he came back with bamboo! I just looked at him. They didn't survive I didn't know they were filter feeders and the tank hadn't been running for a while.

Here's one of my new shrimp sorry it's not very good lol try later when they cooperate!

ForumRunner_20130124_123706.jpg

Looks good! My Amanos shares a tank with my Fire Red RCS just fine. The only thing is that Amanos are pretty big bullies with their food. Usually they grab it and run off LOL.

Not recommended to combine same species though such as neocaridina heteropoda since they'll mix and you'll end up with funky dull colors.

Looks good! My Amanos shares a tank with my Fire Red RCS just fine. The only thing is that Amanos are pretty big bullies with their food. Usually they grab it and run off LOL.

Not recommended to combine same species though such as neocaridina heteropoda since they'll mix and you'll end up with funky dull colors.

Thanks! I,ve got five of them but they're pretty hard to find lol I,ll not be adding anymore so hopefully they'll all get along fine:)

Back
Top Bottom