Mystery snail eggs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kwhite

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, after having my 3 mystery snails in my 25 gal tank for several months, I now I have my first eggs! There are 3 clutches that have been recently laid. What should I expect?? Is there anything I should do? How many babies should I expect(approximately iof course)? I'm fairly new to snails so any info is appreciated!

Snail fun

Well, after having my 3 mystery snails in my 25 gal tank for several months, I now I have my first eggs! There are 3 clutches that have been recently laid. What should I expect?? Is there anything I should do? How many babies should I expect(approximately iof course)? I'm fairly new to snails so any info is appreciated!

You should expect LOTZA babies!!!

Check out applesnail.net there is the most comprehensive info I have seen anywhere, quite amazing! I have had baby MS several times just a week ago for the last one. Sometimes they get too dry and are duds. They need to be moist but not wet, the little babies are breathing in there and the water will suffocate them.

Local pet stores will trade you stuff for them but usually when they are the size of a marble or larger. A mature stable not overly clean tank (like on the walls and rocks is what I am referring too/they still like clean water).

Very fun, but sooooooo many!

If the area they were laid in is a bit on the dry side, you can carefully remove the clutches, being careful not to crush them. A sharp knife blade slipped between the clutch and whatever they are on works.
Then get a two cup size deli container with a lid, nice and clean. Damp paper towel in the bottom, then something to prevent the eggs from contacting the paper. Place the clutch on the support. Poke a few holes in the lid, put it on, then float the container in the tank, where the water will maintain a reasonable temperature, and the container will provide good humidity. If you see condensation on the inside of the container, poke more holes, you don't want eggs being wet.

Once you see signs of hatching, move the little snails into the tank right away, toss the left over mass and any eggs that failed to hatch.

Not all clutches are fertilized, so they can be duds. If they have not hatched in a month, likely they are not going to.

Thanks everyone!! I can't wait to see if we get babies and how many!

They will cover your tank it is pretty neat to see them all over the tank walls lol...and I would if I were you seat up a five or ten gallon with just a sponge filter and let it get plenty of algae in it and have any future eggs hatch in that tank...but that's just a personal opinion

I have babies!!!!!! And sooner than I expected. They are so tiny!!! I was about to vacuum my gravel and my daughter spotted the babies and stopped me. Thank goodness! I still have 2 clutches of eggs, I ended up with 4 total. This is so exciting!

image-402616304.jpg

The tiny white specks that look like little floating orbs are babies on the glass. Best pic I could get :/

Congrats!!!

My last ones are an interesting group. I think their bodies are mostly blue but their shells on most of them are clear tan to brownish and so they look a little bit olive green. A color I haven't see before! I believe the mom and dad were a blue and a golden or the chestnut stripe. My latest are the size of a BB to a pea now. Have a couple more clutches I am waiting for too! It is fun!

Back
Top Bottom