Mystery snail emergency!! HELP!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SteffeyJ

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all!!
So last night, around 11p.m. my gold Inca mystery snail managed to climb up my HOB filter and out. Fell off the tank, hit the desk and then the floor, luckily, she landed on a piece of styrofoam or I think it would be even worse if that's possible...
I've found 3 large pieces of shell..
shell..
-I had previously posted about how her and my large black mystery snail are constantly mating and it caused a 'V' chip in her shell right where her female organ apparently is..
Anyways, I was certain she was dead. But when I picked her up, she retracted.. not much shell to retract into, but she tried!
So I put her into a breeder box.
So much is exposed that I dont know how she is alive!
She is still climbing and seems 'okay'
I do not want her to suffer though..
I will attach some pictures..
It looks like her lung sac is visible.. and she has only the circle center part of her shell left and her operculum is still attached. There is also stil a small piece of the front (near her head) that is still attached..
Should I try to repair her with eggshell??
Or should I put her out of her misery? Is she suffering?
I do not know what to do for her.
And I feel like she is still trying so hard as she continues to climb all over the sides of the breeder box...
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated..
I truly LOVE this snail. And I would hate to lose her.
But I would hate for her to suffer even more so...
Thank you!!

Attachments

• 20210811_103138.jpg
    20210811_103138.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 20210811_103152.jpg
    20210811_103152.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 89
  • 20210811_103216.jpg
    20210811_103216.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 29
That's l lot. No reason you couldn't try the eggshell. I have only done for one snail the had a decent size piece missing. Biggest thing is not to get the gel glue stuck to the body of the snail.

And it squeezes out. So I'd let it get a bit dry and then hold the shell in a way to put pressure away from the body. First leaving some space where you put the glue not right at the edge but away a little bit so it can not get on the body.

Might use a q tip with most the cotton pulled off.

Thank you sooooo much!!
Was hoping that you would be able to get back to me soon!!
I honestly did not think she would make it through the night!! Especially with her lung sac or whatever that is being exposed! But she has climbed up the sides and out of water and I spray her once in awhile to keep it moist if she is above water line..
I think I will give the egg shell 'patch' a try.
Although, it is definitely more than just a patch lol!
It's over half the shell!!
Although it seems like she has a membrane of some sort up near around her head? Not sure..
But will definitely give this a shot!
Willing to try ANYTHING At this point!
Thank you so much!!

Fingers crossed!��

Yes she might make it with a repair and maybe not if she didnt have a repair. But doing nothin would seemingly bring a shorter than normal life expectancy.

You might do a patch over the seem of the patch for durability and strength. Good luck.

She seems to be trying to stay above the water line..
She usually only ever came out to lay eggs before..
I have her in mostly tank water she came from, plus some clean & treated water. So I dont think it is the watee...
I am just SOOOO scared to hurt her even more..
But you are right, doing nothing Isnt going to help her either. She definitely needs SOMETHING done!
Am running to the store now and will start her 'procedures as soon as I get back!!
Will keep you updated...
Hopefully she will make it....
Thank you for the help!!!
So happy I can always count on you to try to help!!
Thank you!!!!!

She did not even make it long enough for me to start...
I had gotten all the pieces of shell to the right size and everything and when I went to start to try to apply them, I realized she wasnt trying to retract at all.. and the exposed 'lung' part looked completely deflated.. and I gently poked her and no movement..
Waited another about 20 minutes and by then I was POS IT IVE she was gone... my boyfriend just got done burying her in the garden...

Thankfully, I still have a few of her babies that are growing up very quickly and I have 2 large and 2 small egg clutches still incubating..
So hopefully she will still live on through her babies.
Some look like her, some look like the black one and some came out a mixed brownish color lol.
But that's the only silver lining. :)
I am thankful to have her babies still.
She was a great snail... and will be VERY missed.

Thank you for all of your help tho.
:)

Back
Top Bottom