Mystery Snail Mystery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cdodds12

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My snail, Gary, has been floating in the same spot at the top of the tank for days. This morning he had sank to the bottom and was hanging out if his shell. His colour seemed off, and he kind of smelled, so I assumed he was dead, and fished him out with the net. As soon as I touched him he went right in his shell, so clearly not dead. I put him in a 1 gallon bowl, and he has been crawling around all day. So anybody have any suggestions as to what could be going on?

My snail, Gary, has been floating in the same spot at the top of the tank for days. This morning he had sank to the bottom and was hanging out if his shell. His colour seemed off, and he kind of smelled, so I assumed he was dead, and fished him out with the net. As soon as I touched him he went right in his shell, so clearly not dead. I put him in a 1 gallon bowl, and he has been crawling around all day. So anybody have any suggestions as to what could be going on?

I've been reading that when you can smell them, they're read. How odd. Was he completely out of his shell?

I have a mystery snail, too, and they are indeed weird creatures. I wish I could help you with your problem!

What else has been going on in your tank...has anything changed that might make him act like this?

Our betta Bluey died last week. They were kind if like buddies, I know that sounds weird, but they used to hang out up in the corner together. Maybe he has a broken heart. We have a new betta Finnigan, but he's been there for a week, and they haven't bothered with each other. He seems happy right now in his little bowl. Maybe I'll just leave him there for now, but he still smells funny.

I think the smell is all in my head, nobody else can smell it, but I swear he smells funny.

Just the snail, the larger tank smells fine, but now the little bowl smells funny.

We've had him since the start if March, he just came from the pet store, so I don't know how old he was when we got him.

He seems fine today, he devoured an algae wafer, his colour is back, and he smells fine. Maybe snails have 9 lives too.

So my first question is: Did you smell him all the time in the past? And 2. Is he "heart-broken?"

No, he's not heart-broken. He's a snail.

I've smelled him enough times to know what he shouldn't smell like. Snails have feelings too!

Well, I guess snails don't have 9 lives. Woke up today to find Gary had passed during the night.

Thank you. We buried him in the flower pot with our fish that died last week. My son says that way he won't be lonely.

Thank you. We buried him in the flower pot with our fish that died last week. My son says that way he won't be lonely.

Awww, that's nice. :)

I really like my mystery snail. I got a few more yesterday. I am more entertained by them than I thought I would be.

Do you plan on getting another?

I also find them fascinating. We just git the one to help with algae in the tank. I would like to get more, but I think I'm going to wait until we have more space for them to have their own tank.

I think they're really cool too. I would like to get some more, but I think I'll hold off until I have space for them to have they're own tank.

I don't exactly know. We had him for about 6 months, but I think he was already pretty old when we got him because he was pretty big.

Back
Top Bottom