Mystery snail not eating?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kneaso_2011

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had a new mystery snail for about 10 days, came from petco. She(?.. not sexed, I just call her a girl haha) is in a 3.5 gallon tank alone for right now (I’m planning to add a betta in the near future). I got her and added her to the cycled tank on the 18th after float acclimating for about 45 minutes. She primarily gets algae wafers (usually morning and evening), but I have given her blanched cucumber a couple of times. She has been very active and eating all her food when given, but the last 2-3 days she hasn’t touched her food. She has been less active, but still moving around consistently. I did a 50% water change/gravel vac this morning, and tank parameters are normal for freshwater and 76-78 degrees. Is the non-eating cause for concern, or should I just give her some time? I haven’t provided any food since the water change. Thanks everyone!

At least for now, I wouldn’t worry too much about the loss of appetite. A single mystery snail won’t eat too much in the first place and it’s possible that it just found an alternate food source such as algae growing in the tank. For now, I would continue to monitor its behavior and feed it as normal.

Agree with Leopardshark20.

Also how much of a wafer at a time are you giving? It might be too much food in general.

You could wait a day and then try feeding again.

And are you familiar with the nitrification cycle? More information is in the article link in my signature.

Congrats on your new tank!

They have eating/resting cycles so for now she's probably nice and satisfied and taking a good snooze. That could be anywhere from hours to days, but eventually they start patrolling again. They can smell food, so when she's ready she'll find it.

Note on adding the betta: if you feed too much and the betta leaves food around (I'm speaking specifically of those floating color/top form pellets made especially for them), your snail will usually find them and vacuum them up. This is how my Mystery tripled her size in three weeks, eating super-food as well as her own. I am not kidding - she's the largest Mystery I've ever had and she owes it all to a finicky betta. It's also made her an absolute glutton and she will eat anything in her path now.

They have eating/resting cycles so for now she's probably nice and satisfied and taking a good snooze. That could be anywhere from hours to days, but eventually they start patrolling again. They can smell food, so when she's ready she'll find it.

Note on adding the betta: if you feed too much and the betta leaves food around (I'm speaking specifically of those floating color/top form pellets made especially for them), your snail will usually find them and vacuum them up. This is how my Mystery tripled her size in three weeks, eating super-food as well as her own. I am not kidding - she's the largest Mystery I've ever had and she owes it all to a finicky betta. It's also made her an absolute glutton and she will eat anything in her path now.

Thank you! She ate a bit yesterday and has been scooting around a lot this morning, so I must have been worried for nothing. She is fairly small now, so fingers crossed once the betta is added she’ll continue to thrive!

Back
Top Bottom