Possible different parameters for different colour snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Love Snails

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everybody, I am extremely new to this forum and I hope that I am doing everything right at the moment. I have multiple colour Ramshorns snails. But about three or four weeks ago I started getting these beautiful little white babies and then as I noticed some of them started to grow that they were almost crystal lake in colour I could see through them. And they’re beautiful. But in about 2 to 3 weeks they seem to all die I don’t have any other of the colours die unless it’s of old age. Has anybody ever seen this happen do the white ones need different parameters I’ve tried to search it on the web but not with much success. So if anybody has any answers I would really love it. And when I see them as tiny babies if I need to change them out of that aquarium into a different aquarium With different parameters I would definitely do that I would get them a little aquarium all of their own. Say is if you have any answers I would love it

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

With snails, the unusual colours are from inbreeding and genetics. It happens when new snails aren't introduced into the group on a regular basis and you start getting some cool colours but they are really weak and either die prematurely, or struggle through life.

If the water quality is good, then poor genes is the most likely cause and the easiest way to fix it is by adding some different bloodlines.

What are your water parameters?

Ammonia
NitrIte
Nitrate

pH

KH/GH

TDS

Temperature

Any other measurements, you might have.

How long has the tank been running?

Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle? The article in my signature "Getting Started" can help with over all tank care an explains it also.

As mentioned above, genetics can cause these mutations to be weak. But you might have the ability to maximize your tank environment and hope for them to grow up.

Back
Top Bottom