Problem snails in my planted tank! Advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nessalang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I first started planting my tank about 1 1/2 years ago, I was a newbie and had no idea to check my plants for snail eggs (so. much. regret.). I got a pair of yo yo loaches which have done an incredible job keeping the ramshorn snail population in check; however, this allowed the other snails to do REALLY well and their population is easily in the hundreds if not thousands. I have not yet been able to figure out the species, but they are very tiny (most are ~2-3mm) and have white spiral shells (shaped like a trumpet snail), and the body is grey-ish white as well. My gravel is on the larger side, so the white snails have a huge refuge to hide in, and they are either too small for my loaches to bother with or they can't get to them. I've dosed my tank with copper treatment a couple of times according to the instructions on the bottle, which kind of works but many of them manage to survive and then they keep breeding. I've also considered assassin snails but I am concerned that my loaches will just eat them. I don't mind having them to clean up the gravel, but their population always eventually gets to the point where they start damaging the plants. Any advice/tips/tricks? Thanks guys!

I would pick out what you can and get some larger assassin snails. The hard shells make them difficult for the loaches to eat all but the smallest dudes... Keep removing them when you can and let the assassins dine.

Thank you SgtMjr! I picked up a few Assassin snails the other day, and they seem to be escaping the loaches so far.

Back
Top Bottom