Red Amano Shrimp???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
LFS says they will be ordering these from (maybe Taiwan, can't remember atm).
Has to get a pretty large order to pay for shipping.

Anyone have these and do you have some good pics to share?

Same care as regular Amano?

Not possible. Your LFS likes to mislabel shrimp. I would not purchase them.

I don't doubt it! LOL I agree. Some one on here said they heard there was one which had a red stripe, but thought they were dyed and some fish store guy said he had had them for a couple months and they had not lost color.

Any idea, has anyone seen these, were they dyed?

I will tell him not to waste his money! lol

As I have mentioned before, he says he doesn't know anything about them (shrimp) but is learning and orders them because people want them. And sometimes they send things that aren't even what he ordered.:blink:

I will try the newer LFS store in another town, but they have really high prices. I will see if they know any more. When I called them they wanted 6.99 for a ping pong ball size of Java moss. Off hand, I can't remember how much each type shrimp was but $12 and $16 and they were 2-3x what this guy was charging. Also for fish, same thing.

Autumnsky said:
I don't doubt it! LOL I agree. Some one on here said they heard there was one which had a red stripe, but thought they were dyed and some fish store guy said he had had them for a couple months and they had not lost color.

Any idea, has anyone seen these, were they dyed?

I will tell him not to waste his money! lol

As I have mentioned before, he says he doesn't know anything about them (shrimp) but is learning and orders them because people want them. And sometimes they send things that aren't even what he ordered.:blink:

I will try the newer LFS store in another town, but they have really high prices. I will see if they know any more. When I called them they wanted 6.99 for a ping pong ball size of Java moss. Off hand, I can't remember how much each type shrimp was but $12 and $16 and they were 2-3x what this guy was charging. Also for fish, same thing.

Well like Lynda said, just beware of what you buy. Amanos don't have a red variation and dying is cruel.

They could be female RCS, as there is a Taiwan variant. You could always msg us while in the fish store with a picture lol

Caveat emptor. :cool:

Well said!

It will be a little while before he gets them 4-6 weeks probably. They have been back ordered. I will see if he will show them to me on his computer order screen, and see if I can get a pic of the screen pic. I will for sure post a pic if I can get one.

Also think he said he had ordered and received green Amano which looked to me and him, like "regular ones", his quote. Actually he had one of the regular ones which looked blue!

Autumnsky said:
Well said!

It will be a little while before he gets them 4-6 weeks probably. They have been back ordered. I will see if he will show them to me on his computer order screen, and see if I can get a pic of the screen pic. I will for sure post a pic if I can get one.

Also think he said he had ordered and received green Amano which looked to me and him, like "regular ones", his quote. Actually he had one of the regular ones which looked blue!

Call me a skeptic. Seeing is believing!

OK you are a skeptic! But I guess I am one too. You all here have more information about shrimp types and care so just so you know I will trust you more!!!;)

I was reading through, and a thought just popped up in my head. What if they're really really low grade RCS? Females are larger, so that could be confused with Amanos? My oldest girl RCS has a red line going Down her back.

Although I agree with everyone I actually recently purchased plane Amano shrimp a batch of like 10 and the 8 in my rcs are still there normal color but the two in my apisto tank have actually turned pinkish red. Not sure if it's the food or something but that's their color. I'll take a pic when I get home to show.

Desastre said:
Although I agree with everyone I actually recently purchased plane Amano shrimp a batch of like 10 and the 8 in my rcs are still there normal color but the two in my apisto tank have actually turned pinkish red. Not sure if it's the food or something but that's their color. I'll take a pic when I get home to show.

It is possible for that to happen. I know it for a fact they can develop a bluish to reddish tint. But not full blown red in any way.

Austin said what I suggested earlier lol. Mistaken female RCS. Sell em at a higher price as amano and say they can't breed in FW. But really they can't breed cause they're all females X.X.

Amano shrimp and RCS look nothing alike, huge size difference.

It's good to be skeptical about new strains but it's not completely out of the question for new strains to pop up. Lots of new fish and shrimp strains pop up in asia, where do you think the various neocaridina strains came from?

Last edited:
jetajockey said:
Amano shrimp and RCS look nothing alike, huge size difference.

It's good to be skeptical about new strains but it's not completely out of the question for new strains to pop up. Lots of new fish and shrimp strains pop up in asia, where do you think the various neocaridina strains came from?

True, but you have to think/know we would have heard about it first. Either from the Germans (where most new strains are cultivated) or from southeast Asians (where the rest are cultivated/many are found)

And I just meant many uninformed LFSes would just accept what a 'knowledgable' supplier tells/sells them.

My LFS tries selling the few RCS they get in as bumblebee shrimp. They give the scientific name of a saltwater fish. So that's what I'm taking about.

Autumnsky said:
It would be cool. LFS guy said they would be slightly more cost than regular Amanos.

And there's the hoax. LOL.

(Also -- many shrimp get shipped as juvie/young adult. So it could be even easier to just say the adult RCS is a young 'red amano' shrimp. Lol.)

Ok ok I'm not saying it is really a hoax. Just keep us posted.

I went to my LFS today, and noticed that his Amanos had a bluish hue to them. Maybe the ones your LFS has, have a redish hue? maybe that's what he's talking about.

Oh, sorry MABJ lol I guess I didn't read your earlier post lol

Back
Top Bottom