red cherry shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I will be adding my RCS group into another tank and wanted to know if they will darken up. They are currently in a tank that has river pebbles in it and are not really red. They are more clear than red, though the mama shrimp is pretty red. If I move them to a tank with black sand will they get more red?

Darker substrates can cause RCS to darken. When I added black Petco sand to the PFS in my shrimp tank, my RCS darkened up noticeably.

How is your background color? The shrimp should darken up a little more when the water quality is good, if the tank has lots of plants and rocks and hiding type places/cover for them to feel safe too. If there are other fish sometimes they may feel threatened.

I have RCS on white sand and black sand and on the white sand tank I added a graduated blue background and that help a little. With all the rocks and plants and no predators they looked great, there was a slight difference in color with the black sand, seemed a little darker.

River rock should be fine it has dark colors too.

My background is just the glass. I have thought about painting it black but have been afraid of regretting it later to actually do it. Most of my guys are mostly clear and the water has good readings. The only one in the tank that is really red is the mother.

no real advice as i am dealing with this right now to, except all mine even the berried female are pale, and here i am feeling ignorant about shrimp. i have had them for like 5 days now.

Do water testing and see where you are.

Water quality is key. Maybe try a 50% pwc. Prime water conditioner is ideal for dechlorinator, help neutralize some ammonia also.

Do not over feed.

IMO...I have a 5g RCS tank only...I have petsmart black sand and a lot of plants and a few small rocks....Originally I bought 3... 2 females 1 male and 1 baby was given to me which turned out to be a male......I do not have a background at all and the adult females are super red and the female babies are getting just as red.....so I would say darken the subtrate and keep up on the pwc schedule (weekly)

Thanks guys. The tank has good parameters and gets it's weekly 50% water change. If they don't darken up I shall have fun selectively breeding them to get more red.

Females tend to be more red than males. You probably already know that. And they darken as they get older.

They are fun to watch whatever color they are!

I don't have Cherry Shrimp, I have Sakura Red Shrimp. The females are very big and super red compared to the males. The males are clear and red. I have them on purple gravel with some plants. Feeding them a quality shrimp food and boiled/blanched veggies I heard will help too!

I don't have Cherry Shrimp, I have Sakura Red Shrimp. The females are very big and super red compared to the males. The males are clear and red. I have them on purple gravel with some plants. Feeding them a quality shrimp food and boiled/blanched veggies I heard will help too!

Just an FYI for everyone. Red Cherry, Fire Red, and Red Sakura are all different grades of the same Shrimp.

Dark substrate, plants, and varied food will help color them up. :)

What are good foods to give them? Right now they clean up whatever flakes aren't eaten and get algae wafers, plus whatever plant material they eat from plants.

What are good foods to give them? Right now they clean up whatever flakes aren't eaten and get algae wafers, plus whatever plant material they eat from plants.

Bloodworms, Brine Shrimp and Blanched Zucchini / Cucumber are other various foods I feed my RCS.

There are amazing shrimp foods on the market. Natural color enhancing ingredients are usually in those formulas.

They need tiny amounts of food 1 time per day if they are in an established tank, set up for several months. In a newer tank I would feed tiny amounts 2x per day.

Someone shared this with me, to think of the fish or shrimps eye as how big a serving size might be. I bet you are over feeding lol!

Over feeding at one time though. They need to be eating through out the day, it is why you see them picking at the rocks, plants and decos, anything in their path, as they are scavengers. An established tank with lots of plants has microscopic food in there and the shrimp are fine eating away on it all through the day. If it doesn't have a healthy build up of bio-film, they could get hungry.

Too much added fish food and water quality can start to decline. So you want to strike a balance of feeding tiny amounts for them so they can grow big and strong.

I use Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, also will add a varied diet of Hikari sinking wafers or algae wafers. The wafers can be broken into small bits to be shared by the shrimp. For 10 shrimp one half 3-4mm Omnivore sinking wafer would be fine in am and pm. Also freeze dried worms, tiny amount, almost any other type of food. The higher quality stuff is worth the money, there is less filler. It lasts a long time since they don't eat that much!

Over feeding can lead to other things you don't want in your tank.

Do you have moss like Java Moss? If you can't find it around you locally I can sell you some reasonably and you can pay shipping. PM me if you are interested. As for plants they love all plants as they eat stuff off of them. The frilly and ones with lots of little edges, like Java Fern Windelov and regular Java Fern too. Echinodorus /Dwarf Swords, Microsword, Anubias. Marimo Moss Balls, Ambulia/Dwarf Ambuila. You can start with low light plants. You can post a separate thread for extra help with lighting plants, in planted tanks.

Also I like Rams Horn Snails for clean up or Nerite if you don't want them reproducing in your tank, also Mystery snails. They are as fun to watch as the shrimp, there are many different colors and patterns too.

All of my tanks are all planted and the shrimp have java moss around. Thanks though. I'll look into the hikari shrimp cuisine.

My background is just the glass. I have thought about painting it black but have been afraid of regretting it later to actually do it..

I felt the same way so I bought thin pieces of poster board in the colors I was thinking of. I taped them to the back and left each color on for a few days. In the end it was an easy choice and after painting I have no regrets.

Substrate colors do a lot of differences i have black Eco-Complete And they are really dark red. I feed them fluval shrimp granules so that might boost their colors.( Red Cherry Shrimps)

I have black sand, a ton of plants and feed a wide range of foods.

Fresh food blanched or frozen/thawed
Organic skinned Zucchini
Spinach
Carrots

Omega One
Fish flakes (leftovers from fish)
Algae wafers
Shrimp Pellets

Specialized Shrimp food
Bee Pollen
Several Brands of Shrimp food.

Rapashy their favorite !!!

Will be buying Food from hobbyists as well.
Seller in AA Mart has Barley pellets for shrimp, gonna try that.

Also other vendors on TPT have great prices on Shrimp specialty foods.

Back
Top Bottom